History of the Town of Coventry

by Oliver P. Judd


Personal History.

The BEALE Family

     WILLIAM BEALE came from Lestershire, England, in 1841 and settled at Gilbertsville, later removed to Coventry and settled in the south western part of the town. He had five sons and three daughters. ANN Beale married John BAWLING of Butternuts. JOSEPH Beale married Anna Maria HANCOCK, of Syracuse; had eight children. GRACE married Abel GIPSON of Mt. Upton; had one son. JENNIE E. married Stephen FLETCHER of East Guilford. ALICE F. married John A. PARKER of Guilford; had two daughters. EDGAR L. married Lena PHELPS of Unadilla; had one son. GERTRUDE L. married David SIBLEY of Butternuts; had one son. MINNIE E. married Clayton TAYLOR of Sidney. FREDERICK J. married Laura FULLER of Owego; had two sons and one daughter. LILLIAN N. married Joseph HYETT of Guilford; had four sons and two daughters. WILLIAM married Emma JENKINS of Butternuts. JOHN married Margaret WEBB of Butternuts; had three daughters. SARAH married William NORTH of Silver Lake, Pa.; had three sons and one daughter.

     JOHN BEALE married Maryette WEBB of Butternuts, N. Y. Their children were ROSAMOND, who married Henry PACKARD of Coventry, now living in Greene; has one daughter. CARRIE, married Russell COOKINGHAM of Poughkeepsie; had one son. MARY married Vernall HANCOCK of Syracuse; had three sons and three daughters. GEORGE HANCOCK married Mary FLETCHER of Binghamton. MARY married Martin PEARSALL. EDWARD C. married Gertrude WELLER. JOSHUA BEALE married Sarah HURLBURT of Harpursville. JAMES BEALE married Lucretia CARY. Mrs. JENNIE FLETCHER is the only representative of the Beale family now living in the town of Coventry.

KELLY Family

     JOHN JACOB KELLY was born in Laiching, Withingburg, Germany, Feb. 4, 1808. His wife, Rosma HASKEN, was born Sept. 14, 1802. Mr. Kelly was a weaver by trade. His three children were all born in Germany. In 1852 he came to America and in 1854 his family came, consisting of his wife, two daughters and one son. MARIA, who was seventeen years old; ANNA, fourteen years, and JOHN nine years of age. They settled in Coventry and Mr. Kelly worked for PHILLIPS and HOYT as long as he lived. His death occurred Sept. 9, 1862, at the age of 54 years. His wife died Aug. 5, 1887, aged 85. MARIA married George MANGOLD in 1861, who came from Germany with the Kellys; they had one son, JOHN HENRY, who is now living in Coventry. He married Adelaide CONNELLY EELLS, and had one son, Carl, who married Virginia VAN WOERT of Coventry and lives in Binghamton; also one daughter who died when about two years old. Mr. Mangold worked for James PHILLIPS for a good many years and bought a farm and farmed it the remainder of his life. He died in 1907, aged 72 years. His wife is still living, and is quite well and in her 77th year. ANNA married William SEELEY; their children are CHARLES, who married Miss Cora DELAND; children, two sons, FRANK and CARL. RAY married Miss Grace PALMER; had two sons, and ERNEST, who married Miss Nina HALL and had one child. JOHN KELLY, married Miss Laura STILES of Coventry in 1869, and had one son, FRANK, who married Miss Ada TIFFT, and has one daughter. LAURA married Frederick PORTER, and had one son and one daughter.

     JOHN Kelly began clerking in the store of Phillps & Hoyt when quite a small boy, and by being saving and industrious he began to save some money. He clerked it for them until the death of Mr. PHILLIPS, and then he went in partnership with Mr. HOYT, the firm being Hoyt & Kelly, until he was unable to do business. After Mr. Hoyt resigned he took his son FRANK in company with him, under the firm name of Kelly & Son, and the sign hangs there to this day. He has been one of the leading men in the town for a good many years. He has been Justice of the Peace for 16 years, and town clerk several terms. He has been very prominent in the Second Congregational church.

EELLS Family

     EDWARD EELLS, son of Benjamin and Hannah HANFORD EELLS, was born in Walton, Delaware county May 20, 1828. He received his education in the schools of that place and when a young man he went to Deposit and learned the tinner's trade. In 1852 he was united in marriage with Juliette BENNETT, and had one child, DELOS ROCKWELL. In October, 1853, his wife died. May 23, 1856, he was again united in marriage with Miss Emily McCALL. She was born March 23, 1835; their children were FRANCIS ISABEL, GRANVILLE McCALL, ADELAIDE CONNELLY, BENJAMIN MARVIN, EDWARD HANFORD, EMILY JULIETTE, JUNIUS BAIRD, GEORGIE PHILLIPS, CLARENCE, SOPHRONIA SISSON. In 1859 he moved to Coventry, worked at his trade for Phillips & Hoyt till within a year or two of his death, which occurred in 1894, dying in the asylum.


     RUFUS CHANDLER, son of Deacon Henry and Penelope Chandler of Brattleboro, Vt., who came to this country at an early date, was born April 11, 1878. His parents being poor and having a large family he was bound out till he was twenty-one, to a man who went to one of the southern States, I think it was Virginia, and he went with him. His education was acquired at the common schools which were not as good then as now and the people did not think as much about keeping their children in school in those days as they did to keep them to work. When he was twenty-one the man gave him a pair of horses, wagon and harness, and a little money to bear his expenses to come to Coventry. On his way north he traded the two horses for three, and if my memory serves me right got some boot money, and from that on he was always speculating in horses and buying cattle and driving them to Orange county. He was a great drover in his day. He also engaged quite extensively in farming, owing several farms. He was quite prominent in public affairs having been supervisor several times, and other offices he has filled in the town. He represented this district in the Assembly in 1858, so history says, but I think there must be a mistake in the date. I know he was an Assemblyman, I can remember back to 1853 and I can't remember it. He was a sharp shrewd business man and acquired quite a large fortune. In the latter part of his business life he was associated with his son-in-law, James M. PHILLIPS, and Augustus MARTIN in the drover's business. They went to Ohio to buy cattle and drove them to Orange county, keeping several men to work driving cattle. In those days you would see large droves of cattle, some two or three hundred in a drove, and the sheep by the thousands going through Coventry every week or two. He also was connected with Zerah SPENCER and William CHURCH in the mercantile business, the former of whom died Feb. 5, 1832, aged 33 years; about which time the business was discontinued. In 1834 he resumed business with G. D. PHILLIPS, to whom after about a year he sold his interest. History says he was again in the mercantile business some two years with Romeo WARREN and William CHURCH but it don't say whether it was before or after he was in company with Mr. Phillips. He was a strong pillar in the Second Congregational church of Coventry. On June 10, 1822, he was united in the holy bonds of wedlock with Miss Laura BENEDICT, daughter of Ira and Anabrit PACKARD Benedict, born March 4, 1799. They lived together 56 years and had one daughter, LYDIA M., born Aug. 28, 1827, who married James M. PHILLIPS. I forgot to say that Mr. Chandler was Colonel in the militia for a number of years. Lydia M. Phillips, wife of James M. Phillips, and daughter of Rufus, and Laura CHANDLER, died April 23, 1874, aged 47 years. Laura Chandler, wife of Rufus Chandler, died July 12, 1879, aged 80 years. Rufus Chandler died Dec. 28, 1883, aged 85 years. LOISA M., daughter of James M. and Lydia M. Chandler PHILLIPS, was born Jan. 12, 1862; married Julius DOERNER; died April 19, 1887. James M. Phillips died Dec. 18, 1900, aged 77 years.

     A poem written by the late Chauncey S. WILLIAMS.

Concluding Words

In the years of the past the forest came to stay,
God in his wisdom planted them here and there;
For a boom and a blessing to man in his day,
With rivers, creeks and showers, He watered them with care.
High were their heads, to receive the kiss of the sun,
The home of the deer, the mink, the fox and the hare;
Their trunks so long and great, hid a century outgrown
The climbing sport of the squirrel, the wildcat, panther, and the bear.
The red man came to dwell beneath their shade,
To kill his game with bow and arrow, and fish in the lake and stream.
He laid it not, 'twas not his to use ax or spade,
But to pitch his teepee where he could best lay and dream.
In time the pioneers, our forefather, came this way,
From the forest for himself and his kin a home to hew;
A large family of children he raised in his day,
Brave and strong to help him live in this country so new.
The woodman stood beneath the giant red beach tree
Whose broad and leafy head stood fifteen times above his own;
Said he, you give me no bread, I cannot live on thee
Though ten cords of wood you've grown.
Next he stood by the sweet and shady maple tree,
Whose head so green and bright rose high to greet the morning light;
Said he, I know the sugar you grow; is sweet and delicious for me to eat,
But I cannot wait, nature's gait for the sap to run.
And thus he said to the oak, elm, ash and many other trees,
Even if later on you could stand you'd give us thousands in cash;
I'll cut you down, you must go into the firey seas,
For none of you, now, give us to eat as much even as a plate of hash.
So acres fallen trees on earth's bosom lay at rest,
In the even tide, torch was applied, changing night to day;
The blaze was grand, terrific and sublime, but fearful at best.
Ashes only were left, of the remains, that the forest had passed away.
The red man, the Indian, in his strength and glory, where oh, where is he?
From the fish in the brook, the deer in the chase, he has gone to stay;
In forest or lake, on hill or dale, no more can we see him,
His nation is gone, weak and strong, he has passed away.
Many long, long yeas did our grandparents work and sing,
To help and bless their children in their day.
They heard the sweet voices in song and laughter ring,
They promised God with humble heart, and silently passed away.
Our parents, when their work was done followed on.
The blessed book they taught us in their own sweet way,
That we might rightly live after they were gone above.
Soon they heard the call, come home, and meekly passed away.

A Few Incidents and Anecdotes of the Early Settlers

     I will give you one that happened in the HOYT family at Walton, and what happened in one part of the country when it was new is equivalent to the other. We speak of this that happened in the Hoyt family because two of the sons came here when young men and spent their lives here and some of their sons did, the Rev. John B. HOYT, pastor of the Second Congregational church of Coventry for thirty years, and Thaddeus HOYT, JR. Many were the privations, hardships and sufferings that in the first year or two the pioneers were called to pass through. Provision was scarce, it could not be procured. If grain was obtained there was no mill to grind it. Our father was want to relate a deed that will seem incredible to this generation. He said they had lived on potato bread till they had become cloyed of it and their supply of this was nearly exhausted. He had a bushel of wheat, but there was no mill in all the region. One morning he slung it across his back and traveled with it nearly thirty miles to mill. I think it must have been near where the village of Hobart now stands, got it ground and the next day returned with it in the same manner. If, as Col. CHANDLER of Coventry remarked, the one whom we have just been writing about, when flour was very high, ten or twelve dollars a barrel, bread tasted much sweeter than when it was cheap,- the bread from this flour must have been sweet indeed. But not only was it hard to procure bread itself, meat was also scarce. They had none but wild game. Our father has related an incident which he always regarded as a special providential interposition. He had been over to Franklin and as he was returning, coming up the west hill, all at once he heard his little dog on ahead making a great ado, barking at the highest pitch of his voice. Coming up to the spot he saw he was holding at bay an enormous elk standing on a high ledge of rocks. He hurried home for his gun and then back where he found the dog and elk in the same position he had left them. Taking aim the elk fell at the first fire. It was very fat and supplied the families in the settlement with savory mean for several months.

     In the early settlement the inhabitants were much annoyed by wild beasts. Their sheep had to be carefully guarded by day and folded at night. I will relate a bear story which I have heard our father rehearse with no small zest. As he and uncle Silas BENEDICT were at work one afternoon towards evening, a bear came out of the west woods into the clearing, and descrying them slowly returned. They went to the house, loaded their guns and started in pursuit and discovered bruin standing on a bank beyond a small stream. They silently made their way to an old log some rods distant, resting their guns across the log they agreed at a given signal both to fire together. They fired and the bear fell. Uncle Silas immediately exclaimed, "I have put one ball through him, sure I am of that!" Father said they had better load again before they went up to him for they might meet with resistance. In reloading it was found Uncle Silas gun had only flashed in the pan, the charge was all in. He did not hear the last of killing the bear for many months.

     Not only bears, but panthers, in some instances, made their appearance. As Simeon HOYT, who lived where Wm. HANFORD now does, went out just at dusk to take care of his stock, he saw a huge panther in or near his yard. He had no weapon with him, but being a man of courage he plucked a stake from his ox sled and drove the beast away, which ascended a high stub or dry tree. He took care of his cattle then went to the house, got his gun and came back, but the animal was gone and it was too late to pursue him. The next morning the whole neighborhood turned out with horns, guns, and axes and tracked him in various directions, but the wily animal escaped.

     I will relate one more incident which happened in Coventry about the year 1815, relating to hard times, showing how some of the settlers had to live and the hardships that they endured. Harvey JUDD, SR., lived on the farm long known as the FRISBIE farm in the south west part of the town. One winter his wife went away to take care of some one that was sick, while he and his little son, Harvey Judd, Jr., about nine or ten years old, lived there alone for three weeks. All they had to eat was potatoes, and all they had to season them with was to go to the empty pork barrell and get some salt. They had no cellar and the potatoes had to be buried in a heap out doors. The boy said every time he went to get some potatoes he would cry for fear the potatoes would freeze, for he thought if they did they would surely starve to death. Now reader, whoever you are, don't think that I am writing this for fiction for I am not. It is the truth. Harvey Judd, Jr., has been dead for over forty years, but when living his word no man disputed, it was as good as the wheat, and the writer has heard this story a good many times; and he said that there were several other families in the neighborhood in the same circumstances, all the meat any of them had was what wild game they could get.


     A history containing an account of the PHILLIPS family, from the time of their emigrating to America 287 yeas ago to the present time, 1912.

     REV. GEORGE PHILLIPS was born in Baymon, Norfolk, England. He and his two brothers, SAMUEL and WILLIAM, were adherents of Cromwell and at his death, on account of the persecution in England he with his brothers and whole congregation came over to Boston in company with Gov. WITHROP; arrived on the second of June 1630. Rev. George Phillips settled in Watertown, Mass., and died July 1, 1644.

     2. SAMUEL Phillips, son of Rev. George Phillips was born in Boxford, England, in 1625, and died in Rowley, Mass., 1696. His children were: SARAH, SAMUEL, GEORGE, ELIZABETH, DORCAS, MARY and JOHN.

     3. Rev. GEORGE Phillips, son of Samuel was born in 1664; settled in Brookhaven, L. I., in 1697; died 1739. His children were: GEORGE, who lived and died in Smithtown, and who was grandfather of GEORGE S. Phillips of that place. He was also grandfather of MAJOR Phillips, who was the father of MOSES and GEORGE. One settled in Goshen, N. Y., the other at Morristown, N. J. They have many descendants. Some have become very wealthy. JOHN, who lived and died in Boston, leaving only one daughter, who married a Dr. SPOONER. His two sisters remained upon the Island. ELIZABETH married a ROE, the other an ANTHONY.

     4. WILLIAM, who lived in Smithtown, L. I., and died Jan. 11, 1778. Sybel, his wife Oct. 31, 1767. They were grandparents to G. D. Phillips of Coventry. They had eleven children, viz: JOHN, born Sept. 3, 1638, died in Milford, Conn., March 12, 1780, leaving four daughters, all since dead. WILLIAM, born May 27, 1741, died in Brookhaven, L. I., March 27, 1799, the father of WILLIAM Phillips, ESQ., of Brookhaven. His other son, JOSIAH, and daughter, URANA, died young. ZEBULON, born April 14, 1746, died in Peekskill, N. Y., Jan. 13, 1815; left only one child and she married Harry RUNDELL.

     5. JAMES, born March 13, 1751, died in Coventry, N. Y., Jan. 20, 1841. He was the father of G. D. Phillips, of this place.

     EBENEZER, born July 15, 1753, died in Norwalk, Conn., Aug. 5, 1829; married Polly BENEDICT; had four daughters: ESTHER, married a CROSBY, SALLY, married W. P. STEWART; ELIZABETH, never married, and died in 1862. SARAH, born Oct. 24, 1756, married a TILLOTSON and died in North Salem, N. Y., Feb. 12, 1827.

     PHILETUS, born Oct. 24, 1759, married Esther CLOSE. He died in Greenville, N. Y., May 19, 1818. They had eight children: EBENEZER, a minister, settled in East Hampton, L. I. MILES died in New York. NANCY married William PHILLIPS of Brookhaven, and died there. DANIEL B., was a bachelor, and lived in New York, JOHN lived in Ohio. MARY died a maiden in New York. PHILETUS lived in New York. ESTHER married a KNOWLES, and died in Greenville, N. Y., in 1865. ELIZABETH, born Nov. 1762, died in Brookhaven, Feb. 4, 1844. She never married. RICHARD and two MARYs died young. It will be seen the ancestors of G. D. Phillips in a direct line on his fathers side stands thus:

     1.-Rev. George Phillips, who emigrated from England in 1630.
     2.-Samuel Phillips
     3.-Rev. George Phillips
     4.-William Phillips, a grandfather of G. D. Phillips
     5.-James Phillips, father of G. D. Phillips

     We will now give a more particular account of G. D. Phillips father's family and his own.

     JAMES PHILLIPS, father of G. D. Phillips, was born March 13, 1751, died in Coventry, N. Y., Jan. 20, 1841. His wife, Mercy CLOSE Phillips, died Sept. 23, 1783. By her he had two children, SOLOMON CLOSE died a bachelor in Mississippi, 1830, and BETSEY, who married a JENNINGS and she died in 1867. She had six children: ELIZA, FANNIE, both of whom are dead; SOLOMON, LUCINDA, HULDAH, and JAMES. His second wife, Betsey DRAKE, he married in 1785. She was the mother of G. D. Phillips; born Sept. 10, 1761; died Sept. 20, 1847. They had six children: (1) FANNIE, born Jan. 25, 1786, died Oct. 23, 1826. She married Isaac WALLACE and they had five children: JAMES PHILLIPS, THOMAS, JOHN and two ELIZABETHs, the first of whom died in infancy. JOHN died a bachelor; the others were married. (2) JOHN, born May 26, 1788, died a bachelor, June 31 (sic), 1823. (3) GILBERT DRAKE, born June 3, 1791, married Betsey MILLER, Oct. 2, 1817. She was born March 10 (or 16), 1797. They had five children: DANIEL MILLER, died an infant; EDGAR, born July 12, 1818, married Hannah M. HOYT, June 30, 184? (number blotted out). She was born March 22, 1821. They had four children, JAMES, CHARLES E., EDWARD G. and WALLACE H. JAMES M. born Nov. 22, 1823, married Lydia M. CHANDLER, Aug. 25, 1847; born Aug. 25, 1826; one adopted daughter LOUISA M., PHOEBE ELIZABETH, born Jan. 24, 1829; married A. J. HOYT, June 19, 1850. He was born May 2, 1825. Had two daughters, ALICE LOUISA and HATTIE AMELIA. MARIA LOUISA, born Aug. 27, 1836, married F. Leroy MARTIN, Oct. 27, 1857; has one daughter, MARY LOUISA. (4) MINERVA, born Sept. 15, 1793, married Thomas CALDWELL; had no children. Adopted two daughters, LOUISA and MARIA. (5) GEORGE WASHINGTON, born March 9, 1796, died May 30, 1841, married Maria TREMPER. They had seven children: CATHERINE, FANNY, MINERVA, ELIZABETH, MARGARET, GEORGE and GEORGE 2D. (6) ELIZA ANN, born Sept. 5, 1805. She married Oct. 8, 1843, Rev. J. B. HOYT, for thirty years pastor of the Second Congregational church in Coventry. They had one child, JAMES PHILLIPS, who for many years has been a minister of the gospel. G. D. Phillips died Dec. 18, 1872, aged 72 years; his wife, April 25, 1885, aged 88 years. E. A. Phillips died Jan. 16, 1881, aged 62 years. His wife, March 2, 1885, aged 64 years. James M. Phillips died Dec. 18, 1900, aged 77 years. His wife died April 23, 1874, aged 48 years. A. J. Hoyt, died Jan. 11, 1806, aged 81 years. His wife died Jan. 5, 1903, aged 74 years. E. A. Phillips, if not born in Coventry, spent his boyhood days here, his education was attained in the common schools and at an early age worked in his father's store. When a young man he entered into partnership with his father in the mercantile business, which he followed until his death. He was very prominent in town affairs, having been supervisor and held other offices. He was very active in church matters, having been superintendent in the Congregational church more times than any other man in the society. He was a smart, shrewd business man, and what he undertook prospered. He was one of the most capable and leading men in the society. His death was a great loss to the church and neighborhood, and to the community at large. History does not tell when G. D. Phillips came to Coventry. Some of their children were born here and those that were not must have been quite young when they came here.

     James M. Phillips was brought up here the same as the rest and probably was educated in the district schools. When a young man he was in the mercantile business with his father and brother; later he engaged in farming and droving business with his father-in-law, Colonel CHANDLER, and Augustus MARTIN, which he followed for a good many years. He was a very strong prop in the Congregational church, both spiritual and financial. He was a very prominent man in the town affairs. In politics he was a Democrat, and lived in a town that was fifty or more majority Republican, yet he was supervisor more times than any other man in the town. In 1859, he accepted a nomination for Member of Assembly for the southern district of Chenango county, which at that time was fifteen hundred Republican majority. He was defeated by about three hundred majority. At that time there was great excitement over the Albany and Susquehanna railroad, and BUSH promised to work for it if elected, and by the means, he carried Bainbridge solid with the exception of 16 votes. Had the Democrats stood by him in Bainbridge as they did in the other towns he would have been elected. Again in 1860 he run for the same office and was defeated by Samuel E. LEWIS of Preston by about the same majority. He was a man of good judgment, always stood up for what he thought was right; his counsel was often sought and always cheerfully given. The poor came to him in trouble and he always gave them the helping hand and cheerful word, and at his death he left an aching void, not only in community at large, which never has, nor never can be filled. I forgot to say that he married for his second wife Miss Frances HITT, who died a short time ago; date of marriage and age unknown to me.

     AMASA J. HOYT came from Greene to Coventry near the year 1850; he entered in to the holy bonds of wedlock with Miss Phoebe Elizabeth PHILLIPS, June 19, 1850. In 1851, he entered into partnership with G. D. Phillips & Sons in the mercantile business which he followed as long as he was able. He was not very active in politics, although a Republican, he did not aspire to office. He was a good worked in the church, both spiritual and financial.


     JOHN P. THORP was a shoemaker by trade, taught school some; was Justice of the Peace for several years and was elected poor master, and I think some other office.

     Reader, whoever thou art, if you see mistakes in the individual lives of those that I am writing, please excuse me, for I cannot find in my history one single scrap of writing concerning their individual history. All I have to go by is my own memory of fifty-nine years, since I first became acquainted with the people of this town and what I can remember hearing old people say. So it would not be strange if a man over seventy years of age, writing from his own memory of fifty-nine years ago should make some mistakes. One thing I am sorry for and that is I can't find any individual history of the lives of the illustrious men of this town, for we have had a good many of them; but what can't be cured must be endured, as the school marm used to tell us when she applied the birch. Nevertheless, I will give you a short sketch of as many as I can remember.

     HIRAM CHASE lived where Mrs. Jennie FLETCHER now lives. He was a butcher and stone mason by trade. Reader remember those that I am writing about now are way back in the early fifties. He sold out to John GRANT, who was a cooper by trade, who had an extensive business for several years. He sold out and went to Freetown, Cortland county, N. Y. Mr. CHASE bought near where Burton JONES now lives. He stayed there several years and then went to Masonville.

     The Widow STILES lived in the next house, had quite a family of children. Joseph ESTABROOK lived where George ENDTER now lives and worked at blacksmithing in the old wooden shop that stood where the stone shop now stands, he worked there several years, and died a year or two ago in Oxford.

     The next house on the corner William CHURCH owned and lived in it. He had a large family of boys and girls, several of them grown up and some of them married at that time. He run a large store where Grange hall now is. He was also a drover. The next house east was where Frederic MARTIN lived. He was born and brought up in this town, on the farm known as the T. B. FOOT farm, where the factory was, now owned by the LINDSEYs. He was a drover and somewhat prominent in town affairs. The next east is where Romeo WARREN lived. He was a drover and a farmer. He had two sons and two daughters; MARY taught select school.

     Then comes what we call the temperance house, built by G. D. PHILLIPS for a Temperance Hotel and run as such for a good many years. It was run by Charles LEWIS when I first knew it. He was a harness maker and worked at his trade for a good many years and finally moved to Connecticut. John TREADWAY run it for a while, then George CORNISH, and one SEELEY. The next house, I think, was owned by G. D. PHILLIPS and sons. It was rented most of the time. The house next was owned and occupied by J. W. D. Fletcher MOON. He was a blacksmith by trade and worked at it when I first remember this place and for a good many years afterwards. He had quite a family of children, and I don't know whether any of them are living or not. One of the daughters married Edgar A. PEARSALL, a former Assemblyman, who now lives in Oxford. Her death occurred a few years ago in Oxford and her body was brought here for burial. I don't remember who owned the next house, but it was occupied by a man named DOLE, an oldish man, a day laborer and also sexton for a good many years in the Congregational church. If my memory serves me right he was the father-in-law to Fletcher MOON. Then came the house owned and occupied by John KEYES. He had two sons and two daughters, and was a day laborer. One of his daughters, JANE, married Albert WILLIAMS, who was a shoemaker living here for a few years. She is now dead and he now lives in Binghamton. EMELINE married Sylvester PACKARD. He is dead and she is still living. ANDREW, I don't know who he married for his first wife, but he married Emily JONES for his second and lives in Oxford. JAMES, I think lives in Norwich.

     I don't remember who owned the next house, but it was occupied by a widow ANDREWS, she had one son and one daughter grown up, the daughter married Chauncey MANNING. The last two houses named have been joined together; well, not in holy wedlock, for I donít think the minister did it, but the carpenter joined them in some kind of a lock. They are now owned and occupied by Oral DALTON. That was the last house on that side of the road.

     JOHN P. THORP lived where John MANGOLD now lives. He had one daughter, FLORA, who married Dr. Jesse BARTOO of Greene.

     A little north of the churches where Mr. PALMER now lives, the widow PHILLIPS lived. Her husband was brother to G. D. Phillips. She had five daughters and two sons; one daughter married Dr. Wm. H. BEARDSLEY of Coventry, and one married Reuben ROLF of Coventry, a farmer. I don't know about the rest of the family.

     The next house north where Virgil ANDREWS now lives, was George KEYES'. He married a widow GRISWOLD, who had two sons and one daughter, DELOS and LEWIS, and if I remember the daughter's name was LOUISA.

     Just across the road is where Rev. J. B. HOYT lived, mention of him has been made before. How many children he had by his first wife I don't know, but there was one daughter who married Clement BLAKESLEY, a farmer, and lived a little west of the village. There were some boys. By his second wife he had one son, JAMES, who was a minister. going down the corner of East Main street and you come to where Dr. BEARDSLEY lived. He had four sons, all married and all living; only one, C. G., lives in town.

     The next house west is where Luman JONES lived. He was a shoemaker by trade and had a large family of children. Only one, BURTON, now living in town. The next is where Henry PARKER lived, and he was a wagon maker by trade. He had one daughter.

     The next is where Luther HAZEN lived, who was a wagon maker. He had two sons. He built the shop which is now owned by George HAMILTON and run a cabinet and undertaking business.

     Then comes the Orchard BRISTOL place. He was a wagon maker. He had one son by his first wife, who was a BENEDICT. The son, James E., became a reformed Methodist minister. In 1857, Mr. Bristol sold his place to Zenas HUTCHINSON. He and his wife and daughter lived here until the death of both parents; after which the daughter married Chauncey S. WILLIAMS, and lived here until their deaths. She died Dec. 10, 1901, and he Jan. 31, 1912.

     The next is where E. A. PHILLIPS lived, who was one of the merchants of this place, which business he followed as long as he lived. He had four sons, and not one of the name is now living in Coventry. In 1853 he built the house that Frank KELLEY now lives in and lived there until his death, Jan. 16, 1881.

     Turn and go north up Gothic street and the first house is where Miss Polly MANNING and Mrs. Almira MOORE lived. They were milliners and had a shop there. The next house is where Mrs. HOYT now lives, was not built then.

     The next one is where Lemuel LEWIS lived. He was a carpenter and joiner by trade and built several houses in the village. He had three daughters and one son, one daughter died young. LAURA never married. ELIZABETH married Stephen PALMER of Chenango Forks.

     The next house, the Congregational parsonage, was not built at that time. Across the road is where A. J. HOYT lived. I think he built that house in 1853. He was one of the firm of Phillips & Hoyt in the mercantile business, which he followed as long as he was able to work. He had two daughters: HATTIE, married William PARKER; ALICE married Stephen BERRY.

     Go on down to the corner of East Main street and you will find where Daniel BEECHER lived. He built the house and lived there several years and was a carpenter by trade. In after years he farmed it. He had two daughters: CARRIE, married Burton JONES of Coventry; EMILY married Herbert TOWER.

     The next house west is where Erastus GREENE lived. He was a shoemaker and had two daughters. EMILY married Charles JOHNSON; MARY, a GARDNER.

     The next is where G. D. PHILLIPS lived. It is not needful to say anything more of him here, for you have got a sketch of his life in this book.

     Next comes the store of PHILLIPS & HOYT, occupied by them in 1853, now occupied by KELLEY & Son.

     Turn the corner to the right and you come to what we now call the grocery store. In 1853 it was owned and occupied by John FOOTE, a shoemaker and tanner. The lower part was occupied by him as a shoe shop and the upper part by John TREADWAY for a harness shop and by Hector PORTER as a pocket book factory.

     The next house, where A. P. STANTON, now lives, is where Hector PORTER lived. He had one son and one daughter. SARAH married Harvey WILKINS. WILLIAM married Mary Jane WHITINGTON. The next house was where John TREADWAY lived, now owned by Mrs. Catherine LEWIS. He had two sons and two daughters and was a harness maker by trade.

     The next house is where Col. Rufus CHANDLER lived and the next is where James PHILLIPS lived. You have a history of their lives in previous chapters.

     The next house is where John FOOTE lived, now used as the M. E. parsonage. As has already been said he was a shoemaker and tanner by trade. He had two daughters: LYDIA ANN, who married Henry Milton KETCHUM and removed to Minnesota; and JANE AMANDA. Mr. Foote afterwards sold and went to St. Paul, Minnesota.

     Gideon MINOR lived next. I think he taught school in his younger days. He had one daughter, JENNIE, who married James BARNES of Binghamton, N. Y.

     Coming back down North Maple street there used to stand a house a little north of the hotel, an old couple by the name of BARNUM lived. The house has been gone for a good many years.

     Next on the list is the hotel kept by Luman MILES. He run a hotel and farmed it there for a good many years. He had two sons and two daughters: LEROY, married Hattie DURHAM, kept hotel at East Corners; FRANK, married Mary BUMP; HELEN, married Charles JOHNSON and DILLA married George RACE.

     Going down West Main street and the first house was where Daniel HAYS lived. He was a tanner by trade and worked at his trade. There was a tannery near his house. He was a strong supporter in the M. E. church. He had two sons and two daughters: LIZA, married Edward SMITH; ANNA, never married; EDGAR and HAMILTON.

     The next house is where Zenas HUTCHINSON lived, who had two daughters: SOPHIA, who died at 17 years of age, and CALLISTA, who married Chauncey WILLIAMS. Hutchinson soon after sold to Romeo WARREN, who in a few years sold to Dr. Harvey BEARDSLEY. It was afterwards owned by John KALES and then by his son, JAMES, then by Mrs. James KALES, and now by Charles HOYT.

     Coming back and on the other side of the road is what is known as the KINGSLEY house was where William PORTER lived. Afterwards C. K. PIERCE lived there, who had two sons and two daughters. He was the father of FRANK Pierce, so well known in Coventry. C. K. Pierce was a carpenter by trade. HELEN married George BARNETT; LOVIE married Perry VAN DUSEN; FRANK married Ida WYLIE. The creamery and the house where Ralph HINSDALE now lives was not built then.

     Then opposite the hotel was where Calvin BLAKESLEY lived, who was Justice of the Peace for twenty-four years. He afterwards sold and bought the farm west of the village now owned by Hubert WADE. He had two sons: CLEMENT, who married Emeline HOYT, and CALVIN, who went to Canada to live.

     I left out one house on Maple street, the house now owned by Charles FISK. It was owned by Augustus RICE, a cooper by trade.

     The house on East Main street known as the John SOUTHWORTH house was not built then.

     Going south from the Four Corners you came to the M. E. church, which was built in 1853, and the old school which stood just beyond was built the same year. That has been removed and a new one built some twelve years ago.

     The next two houses was not there in 1853. In getting the PACKARD family I missed one, ANNA Packard, who married Ira BENEDICT.

     Lemuel LEWIS, one of a family of eleven, was born Dec. 17,1804, in Wolcott, New Haven county, Conn., and remained there until fifteen years old; then he moved to Plainville, Hartford county, named the town and built the first house in Plainville. He moved from there to Coventry Nov. 12, 1835. He had three daughters and one son. Mr. Lewis built the M. E. church in Coventry from the foundation, done the inside work of both the other churches and raised two bells in the steeple of the Second Congregational church. On his 92d birthday they made him a surprise at his son's, CHARLES Lewis, in Coventry, Dec. 17. I will tell all that was wrote about it but will say there were fifty-eight present. I will give the article written and read by Mrs. S. B. WILDER:

Tribute to Mr. Lemuel Lewis on His 92d Birthday

     Ninety-two years ago today in the town of Wolcott, New Haven county, Conn., our esteemed friend first opened his baby eyes with wonder on this strange world, and since that time life's journey has been long to the weary one whom today we greet. Many changes have came to him all along life's way. He has seen both shadow and sunshine, and sometimes it has seemed as if the clouds would never roll by, but such is not life; the clouds will roll away from every burdened heart and we trust today our aged friend is looking toward the setting sun with joy and trusting in a life of unfading sunlight beyond.

Just now, we pause, along life's way,
And count the rapid flight of time;
Ah! Olden memories come today,
And long lost strains of auld lang syne.
Ninety-two years with hopes and care,
With childhood's joys and youth's bright dream;
And manhood's toiling strong and brave,
While rowing far out on life's stream.
Ofttimes the hour has been rough,
And burdens seemed too great to bear;
Yet Jesus telleth all the way
Of rest unbroken "over there."
Ninety-two years, with changing scenes,
With home and friends, with cheering words,
With joy and love, with grief and tears,
With music and with broken chords.
There will be briers where roses bloom,
There will be budding hopes crushed down;
There will be harps with broken strings
For every cross there is a crown.
There in that land we'll never grow old,
The feet shall never tire with care;
No silver thread among the gold;
No night, nor tearful watching there.
Yet when thy feet shall touch the stream,
Thou shalt not sink beneath the tide,
For faith in Jesus then shall bear
Thee safely to the other side.
Then God be with you till we meet,
Where toil and tears are e'er unknown,
Across the river, bye and bye,
We'll dwell forever safe at home.

     As has already been said I can get little personal history of individuals in this place, but I can get a little from obituaries of some of the town's former inhabitants.


     EMOGENE LOUISA MARTIN, daughter of Frederic Martin, was born in Coventry, Aug. 20, 1840. Her girlhood and younger life was spent here. She was educated in the schools of this place. In 1861, she was united in the holy bonds of wedlock with I. S. SAMPSON, who with three daughters survive her, having buried her only son in 1878. The large portion of her life was spent in Cincinnatus, N. Y., where she was a member of the M. E. church. In her life she was unselfishly devoted to her family and the church. Such were the natural sympathy of her heart that she was often found at the bedside of the sick. As a mother she was kind and affectionate. She was over twenty years the organist of the church where she toiled unceasingly to help to make the services of God's house of the greatest possible help. The last few years of her life was spent in DeRuyter. Her failing health prevented her from active church work as she had formerly done, but in her own life she was the same sweet spirited woman as in her more active years. September 11, 1896, she passed from this life to the other.


     Judge HAWLEY J. WYLIE was born in Coventry, Chenango county, N. Y., Dec. 3, 1833. When he was 14 years old his father died and at the age of 17 he began teaching school, attending Norwich Academy during the summers. He left the academy in 1855 and for two years was engaged in mining for gold in California. In March, 1859, he came to Columbus, Ohio, and entered the law office of Messrs. Greiger & Andrews. On April 1, 1861, he was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court, Judge Robert B. Warden, and Noah H. Swayne, late Associate Justice of the United States Court, being the examining committee. Judge Wylie had a military record which began in July, 1862, when he recruited Company H, of the Ninety-fifth O. l. V. I., made up of Columbus men mostly. On July 18, 1862, the company was mustered at Camp Chase, Judge Wylie being commissioned captain. The regiment was sent to Kentucky, where at the battle of Richmond on Aug. 31, it was nearly riddled with wounded, captured and killed. On December 5, his regiment not having been exchanged, Captain Wylie resigned and began the practice of law in the city of Columbus with the late Judge W. R. RANKIN. He was elected city solicitor in 1863, and re-elected in 1865, serving four years. At the October election in 1881 he was elected Judge of the Court of Common Pleas for the counties of Madison, Pickaway and Franklin. He took his seat on February 9, 1882. His term expired on February 9, 1887. During his term he presided over the criminal branch of the courts and helped out on the chancelor side. After his retirement from the bench he resumed the practice of law. Judge Wylie was a brother of the late JOHN Wylie of Coventry and an uncle of Mrs. W. A. BALDWIN of this village. He visited here in 1911 and will be remembered by many of the older inhabitants.-Columbus, Ohio Dispatch.


     JAMES S. PARKER was born in the town of Coventry and lived here nearly all his life. He was West about five years and in his old age lived with his son in New Jersey. In his younger days he taught school and was a farmer, and afterwards run a grocery store. He was quite prominent in town affairs, holding office of Justice of the Peace for several years and I think another office. For many years he was a leading member of the Second Congregational church of Coventry.


     JEROME WATROUS was born in Coventry in 1849 and spent all his life in this town. He was much respected in the community where he lived and in the whole town and he will be greatly missed. He was a kind husband and a loving father, and had a good word for every one. He leaves to mourn his departure a wife, one daughter, Mrs. Pearl BADGET, and one sister, Mrs. Eugenie PARKER. He was a farmer and accumulated considerable wealth. He had been in poor hearth for some time.


     HUBBARD H. WYLIE was born in Coventry Dec. 6, 1828, on what is now known as the GEORGE Wylie farm, and died at his home in this town Jan. 16, 1910, aged 81 years. With the exception of one year spent in the West, when a young man, he lived all his life in town and was well known. In 1857 he was married to Miss Sarah BROWN of Harpursville, and soon after they bought the farm where they lived and where he died. Mr. Wylie being a carpenter, built the house where they have since passed fifty-two years of life together. One son, JESSE, was born and lived to be 19 years old, when he died in 1886. Mr. Wylie was always a kind and helpful neighbor and true friend, with always a pleasant word for every one. He had filled many offices of trust and honor in town affairs, and could always be counted on as doing what was the right thing. He will be greatly missed by a large circle of relatives and friends.


     NELSON G. HUNT, son of BENJAMIN and Rebecca Hunt, was born in Towanda, Pa., in 1824. He was married to Emeline HUNT March 11, 1847, and five children were born to them, four of whom, FRANK R. Hunt, of Newark, N. Y., D. N. Hunt, Mrs. E. H. WHEELER and Mrs. B. W. PARSONS, survive him. Mr. Hunt became a resident of this town in 1856, and has been an exemplary member of the First Congregational church for 43 years and was always in attendance when able to be present. He was a deacon in the church for a number of years and was a man of excellent character. Before disease came upon him he was a man of more than ordinary activity and intelligence, possessing a bright and cultivated mind. In early life he was a teacher for seven years, then was town superintendent of schools. He was always actively identified with the affairs of the town, having held the office of Justice of the Peace for 28 consecutive years. Mr. Hunt was a man of influence, respected and loved by a large circle of friends; a kind and loving husband and father, a true and upright man. He had been in poor health for the past ten years, and has been most tenderly cared for by his wife and children. He passed quietly to a higher life of immortality on Friday morning July 21, 1899, at the advanced age of 75 years.


     JAMES KALES, son of JOHN Kales, was born in Coventry and brought up in this place. His early education was received at the common district school in this village. He married Nellie, daughter of Ezra FOOTE. The deceased has always been thoroughly identified with the interests of the community and prominent in town affairs, holding the office of supervisor, if I am informed right, for one or two terms, and in his death we lose a most substantial and public spirited citizen. He was ever ready to help the unfortunate, and his life will be held in affectionate remembrance by many who feel that in his death, they have received irreparable loss. When a kind and loving husband and brother dies the busy world takes little note, but those who knew his worth, and we who mourn, desire to express our thoughts in words of love. We cannot look beyond the stars. We cannot find in this cold clay the consolation that we seek, but the mystery that surrounds this bier must be the perfect working of the law, though hard to bear, we must submit, and to thy tender mercy, give back to thee, this soul. He passed away April 27, (no year listed), aged 49 years. But this we know, and be it known, a gentle spirit has been called. There are surviving him a widow and two sisters, Mrs. John MANDERVILLE of Brocton, Mass., and Mrs. Charles FRIEOT of Bainbridge, besides a host of friends. The services at the grave were conducted in the rites of the Masonic order. In this quiet burial place and where the sky is nearly always blue and the air is pure and sweet, we tenderly placed him among the flowers and with heavy hearts and faltering steps, withdrawn to await the promises of God.


     LUCY J., daughter of TRUMAN and Jane SOUTHWORTH of Coventry, was born Aug. 8, 1840. Her youthful days were spent there; her education was acquired at the district school. At the age of 26 on Sept. 26, she was united in hymeneal bonds with Wallace W. WOOD of Cincinnatus, N. Y., and since that date has resided in that place. Of this union one son was born, FRANK S. Wood of Taylor. Mrs. Wood, having lived in Coventry till she was 26 years of age, she left many warm friends here, and has always been esteemed for her many admirable qualities, her spirit of friendship and interest in the welfare of others, and her many kindly acts which will not be forgotten. Her death occurred April 11, 1912. She leaves a husband and son to mourn the loss of devoted wife and kind and indulgent mother.


     JOHN P. THORP, an old and respected citizen, a life long resident of this town, and one that was much esteemed by all that knew him. He was the father of Mrs. J. E. BARTOO of Greene, and passed away at the home of his nephew in Rochester, April 18, 1903. His remains were brought to Coventry and buried by the side of his wife, who had passed on a few years ago.


     JOHN SOUTHWORTH, son of TRUMAN, SR., and Jane Southworth, was born in Coventry and spent his life here. He farmed it till he got to be an old man and then moved into the village. He had one of those strong, iron constitutions, and but few men wanted to, nor could do the work that he done. A singular coincidence happened at his death which occurred in 1911, he dying all alone in the same house where his wife died along, a few years previous. TRUMAN Southworth, brother of John, a highly respected citizen, was born in 1843 and lived in this town all his life, with the exception of a year or two spent in Binghamton. He was a farmer and somewhat prominent in town affairs, holding the office of highway commissioner for several years. In early life he married a Miss ELLIOTT and lived for a good many years in the north east part of the town. They had two sons, GUY and RAY. The last three years of their lives they spent in the village of Coventry. Mrs. Southworth received a shock in March, 1910, and another in November of the same year. She was a great sufferer. She died on Saturday, Dec. 31, 1910. Saturday evening the spirit of little ERNEST, only son of Ray and Lena Southworth, winged its flight to his heavenly home, after an illness of little more than a week of spinal trouble. Mrs. Southworth was 70 years of age, she was a kind and loving mother and was tenderly cared for by her husband and two sons. She was a member of the First Congregational church of Coventry. TRUMAN A. Southworth, the father, died Jan. 5, 1911, only a few days after the others, from Bright's disease. He had been in poor health for some time. He left two sons. Surely this family has seen double and triple affliction within a few days.


     SPENCER F. ALLIS was born in the town of Coventry, N. Y., in 1836. His early education was acquired in the district school; his boyhood days were spent there. He married a Miss KALES, daughter of William Kales. They had three sons and one daughter. He was a farmer, and also very prominent in town affairs. He was one of Coventry's most trustworthy men, having held the office of supervisor for several terms with marked ability. He was a shrewd business man and a whole-souled citizen. Mr. Allis moved from Coventry to Greene several years ago for the purpose of giving his children better school advantages than they could get at home and to escape the hardship of farm life. He died in 1888, aged 52 years, right in the prime of life by an overdose of laudanum taken accidently by his own hand. His sad and untimely ending brought sorrow to his family and to a large circle of friends, who had known him from his boyhood days.


     CHESTER L. JONES was born in Coventry, July 23, 1832, and was married to Sarah E. ROGERS, Sept. 23, 1856. She died July 2, 1891, in Philadelphia. Their children were one daughter and four sons. After the death of his first wife he married Mrs. Esther MUMFORD, Nov. 17, 1892. She has given him most assiduous and tender care in his illness and filled a difficult and trying place in his home most admirably. Mr. Jones was very prominent in town affairs, holding the office of highway commissioner for two terms, assessor one term, and was Justice of the Peace for several years. He had been trustee of the Presbyterian church of Nineveh and was serving his second term as elder when he died. He united with the church in Coventry when he was 20 years old. For 45 years he had been a member of the Presbyterian church at Nineveh. In the little vale with its running brook, known as Church Hollow, he came years ago with only a log house to receive him. Here he erected buildings comfortable and convenient, building the beautiful winding road along the stream to the main thoroughfare. Here the smiling acres answered to his toil with generous harvest; two spears of grass grew where one had grown before. How much of toil, sacrifice and endeavor is between these lines. Here stalwart sons and daughters grew up to mature life. In all his efforts he was seconded by his worthy helpmate who was a helpmate indeed. With age we look for weakness, infirmity, failing power, but our brother had few marks of decay; we did not think of him as old, so youthful was he, until bereavement touched him, and the wife of his youth departed. He was a young man, then we saw the sickle of the years begin to reap their harvest. He was a man of energy and thrift, the life of a husbandman demands a strenuous life, he also found time to work at carpenter work, thus interest could be met and the debt slowly paid. All farmers know what a life this demands. He was a good neighbor. That word in cities and large towns has lost its sweet significance, we have what we pay for, but money will not buy some things, and that which money will not command comes to rural communities in the form of neighborly offices, in bereavement, in disaster, in sudden press of work. Long will the dale where our brother lived so long remember his cordial word, his hearty hand grasp, his jovial spirit.


     ASHAL MANDEVILLE was born in Coventry in 1800--, and was the son of MALANCTON Mandeville, who came in here when it was all woods and cleared his farm. Ashal's early education was gained in the district school and in 1868 he married Rachael M. KALES of Coventry, who still survives him. Mr. Mandeville retained the ownership of the homestead farm in Coventry, and of which he became possessor; he cultivated this farm in a manner which yielded profitable results, and he was considered a wealthy farmer. About 19 years ago he retired and moved to the village of Bainbridge. His retired life has been quiet and unassuming. He loved his home and devoted much time to reading. He was a regular attendant at the Presbyterian church. Mrs. Louisa M. CURTIS of Orange, N. J., is the only child surviving. Mr. Mandeville left two brothers, one in Minnesota an the other at Brocton, Mass., and a sister in New Haven, Conn. There are two sisters of the wife, one Mrs. S. F. ALLIS of Seattle, Washington, and the other Mrs. Sarah J. CAHOON of Elyria, Ohio.


     ALANSON ROE, a man over 90 years of age, who came to his tragic death by the house burning up, was born April 18, 1808, in Dutchess county, N. Y. He was married Oct. 16, 1834, to Miss Louisa SMITH of Coventry, a most estimable lady by whom he had seven children, four of whom survive him. Mrs. Roe died March 20, 1888. They celebrated their golden weeding in 1884. Mr. Roe was a genial, kindly man and had been a consistent member of the Second Congregational church of Coventry for upwards of 40 years. He was a man that took keen interest in the affairs of the church and State up to the time of his death. He had a remarkable memory and had committed to memory a great many chapters of the Bible, and took great delight in conversing about spiritual things. He knew in whom he believed and said but a short time before he met his death, that he was only waiting the master's call. He rests from his labors, and his works do follow him.


     The many friends of MRS. JOHN P. THORP were deeply grieved to hear of her death, which occurred at her home at Coventry, March 11, 1911, aged 74 years. Mrs. Thorp's maiden name was Diana WATERS. She was born in Coventry in October, 1827, being the daughter of Russell and Roxey Waters, and the third child in a family of five. In the fall of 1848 she was united in marriage to John P. Thorp and the young couple resided in Oxford for four years. In 1852 they returned to Coventry and took their residence at the pleasant place which has since been their home for over 50 years, and where, one daughter, FLORENCE, was born to them. Mrs. Thorp was a member of the Second Congregational church of Coventry and her strong Christian spirit, affectionate disposition, and sympathetic nature that were hers, have so endeared her to those she came in contact with, that her death brings an acute sense of personal loss and grief to all who knew her. She had been in failing health for several years, but always met her friends with a cheerful smile, and at the last, the end came suddenly, and she slipped away from this mortal life into that life which is immortal. She was survived by her aged husband, but he is now gone, and one daughter, Mrs. Jesse BARTOO of Greene, who have the sympathy of all in their loss. She was laid to rest in the cemetery at Coventry.


     MRS. DOTHA LANDERS, the oldest person then living in the town of Coventry, died at her home in Wilkins Settlement, on Jan. 16, 1892, at the advanced age of 98 years and some months. The funeral was attended at her late residence, the home of MELVIN LYON, on the 18th. Mrs. Landers was one of those droll characters seldom found, but when once seen always remembered. She was a good well meaning woman, but her hobbies were numerous and the earnestness with which she denounced all secret societies and harmless amusements gave rise to much good natured hilarity among the young people, and Aunt Dotha, as she was familiarly called, was well known far and near. She preserved her physical strength to a remarkable degree and was able to walk about and to visit her neighbors until the very last years of her life. She told many stories of the far past, which were received with pleasure. One of her sisters was a district school teacher of considerable note in the good old time, and Mrs. Landers frequently mentioned with considerable pride the fact that Henry Ward BEECHER, when a boy used to attend her sister's school. Thus, one by one, the very few links that connect us with the past century are passing away.


     ELISHA M. WARREN was born in the town of Coventry. His early education was gained in the common schools. He was married Sept. 18, 1879. His home was in Coventry until he became middle aged, when he removed to Bainbridge and has been associated with Jesse ANDERSON, under the firm name of Warren & Anderson in the boot and shoe business for about 30 years. He died on the road of heart failure, between Sidney and Bainbridge while coming home from camp meeting. He was 76 years old and was buried at Coventryville.


     RUSSELL M. SMITH was a son of CLARK Smith and was born in Coventry Jan. 26, 1813. His whole life was spent in his native town and within a short distance of the place of his birth. In early life he united with the Second Congregational church of Coventry and was for a number of years a deacon in that church. Later he removed to Church Hollow and became a member and a ruling elder in the Presbyterian church in Nineveh. He afterwards returned to his farm where he died, and connected himself with the First Congregational church of Coventry, of which he was a faithful and esteemed member at the time of his death. July 4, 1838, he was married to Miss Annette BEECHER, a sister of Dr. H. H. Beecher, late of Norwich, who preceded him to the grave March 21, 1877. Three children were born to them, but one of whom is living, C. EUGENE Smith, who resided about one mile from the old homestead in Coventry. Mr. Smith was truly one of nature's noblemen. He was naturally of a retiring and unassuming disposition but was never backward nor slow to do, when service was needed and his fellow men could be helped. He carried his Christian principles into his daily life. His Christian faith moved and controlled him in all his actions and was a constant strength and joy to him in all of his experiences. He won and held the highest respect and esteem of all who knew him. His life went out peacefully in the full assurance of the Christian hope. In his death his native town lost one of its oldest and best citizens, and the church of which he was a member, and the circle of friends and relatives, will long feel their loss.


     Death has again invaded our quiet community and taken two of our most highly esteemed citizens. On Thursday of last week the people here about were pained to learn of the death of HENRY ANDREWS, which occurred early that morning at his late residence. Mr. Andrews was a soldier and a member of the 114th Regt. during the Civil war, not entering the service for the sake of a bounty, as he got none, but like many others he left family, home and friends to defend his country out of pure patriotism. He was dangerously wounded at the battle of Cedar Creek, from which he so far recovered as to enjoy comfortable health for many years after the war, but in these later years the old wound ulcerated and he suffered much for a long time until at last death came to his relief. He was the soul of honor in all the business relations of life. In his youth he became converted and united with the Baptist church of Coventry, of which he was a deacon at the time of his death. He leaves a wife but no children. The funeral took place at the North Afton church on Friday afternoon, Oct. 10. His pastor, Rev. George BOLER, preached the sermons and his comrades of the G. A. R. bore his remains to the cemetery near by where they were committed to the dust.


     A few hours later the community was again saddened to hear that VINCENT WHITE had passed away. He had been in poor health for over a year and his death was not altogether a surprise. He had been a resident of this place for many years and carried on the business of harness maker with honesty and ability, and was held in high estimation by the community. Mr. White was a consistent member of the Second Congregational church of Coventry. He leaves a wife and four grown up sons to mourn him.


     JOSIAH SEYMOUR, born and brought up, married and lived here till middle age, was one of Coventry's prominent men. Always quiet and inoffensive, with a good word for all. He left farming and moved to Bainbridge, working in the foundry for several years. He was the inventor of the Seymour plow that was so popular several years ago. He died at Port Jervis. His remains were brought here for interment.


     MRS. ALVIN CONVERSE, a former resident of this town, but late of Bainbridge, was buried at Coventry Jan. 12.


     Dr. HARRIS H. BEECHER was born in Coventry, Nov. 21, 1820. His father, PARSON Beecher, was one of the early pioneers of the county, having removed from Salem, Conn., now Naugatuck, to Coventry in 1806. In January, 1808, Parson Beecher was united in marriage with Margaret PORTER and began life in a log house; later he built the first frame house upon what was known as the "Livingston tract," and the first between Bainbridge and Greene. Here Dr. Beecher was born and spent his boyhood days. Having suffered an injury, which produced long and painful lameness, he found himself incapiaciated from manual labor, and at the age of sixteen entered Oxford Academy for a course of study. He remained at Oxford for four years, teaching at intervals. He then took up the study of medicine and first read with local practioners and then going to Binghamton entered the office of Dr. DAVIS, later of Chicago and one of the most eminent members of the medical profession in the world. Later he graduated from the medical college at Castleton, Vt., and in 1848, settled in North Norwich and began practice. He was eminently successful in his profession and soon had a large and lucrative ride. He became very popular with his fellow townsmen and was elected to various town offices. He was superintendent of schools for a number of years and in 1859 represented the town on the Board of Supervisors. Before the Civil war Dr. Beecher was a Democrat in politics, but when the first shot was fired on Fort Sumpter, he promptly responded to the call of patriotism and announced himself on the side of the Union. He became active in advancing the cause of the North both by speeches and by urging men to enlist, and in 1862 decided to enter the ranks of the army. He offered his services to Governor SEYMOUR and after a successful passing the required examination was commissioned assistant surgeon and assigned to the 114th Regiment, N. Y. Volunteers. Dr. Beecher went to the front with his regiment and by his assiduous attention and sympathetic heart won the esteem of all the boys. Said a veteran of the regiment to the writer, when it was known that Dr. Beecher could not survive, "there was no man in the regiment more universally loved than he." After the regiment went to Louisiana he was ordered by General BANKS to take charge of the U. S. Marine General Hospital at New Orleans. Here he remained for nine months and when he left to enter upon the Red River campaign, was presented with an elegant gold headed cane and other valuable tokens of appreciation by the soldiers for whom he had cared. From that time on he was continuously in active service and in the Shenandoah Valley was the only medical officer with his regiment. He returned with the 114th and then decided to locate in Norwich. He gave his time to his profession and literary work. Desiring the noble deeds of his brave comrades should be perpetuated, he wrote and published a "Record of the 114th Regiment, N. Y. S. V.," which made a work of nearly 600 pages and is conceded to be one of the best regimental histories ever written. During his residence in Norwich, Dr. Beecher was one of the best known and most popular citizens of the town. He was foremost in everything that pertained to the public good. He was made a trustee of the Norwich Academy and president of the board. He took much interest in everything that had to do with soldiers, and was one of the charter members of Smith Post, G. A. R. It was through his instrumentality that Memorial Day was first observed in Norwich. He also suggested the organization of the 114th regimental association and became its corresponding secretary, an office he held at his death. At the reunions he was ever a prominent figure and contributed in a large measure to their success. In later years his favorite project was a soldiers' monument, towards which he stood ready to give $500.00, but he never succeeded in overcoming the indifference of the public. He succeeded the late George M. AVERY, M. D., as a pension examiner and when a board was organized was made its president. He held the place till the advent of President Cleveland, when he gave way to men of Democratic faith. He was reappointed to the office and would have entered upon the duties had his health permitted. In 1874 he was elected Member of Assembly from Chenango and served on the committees on public health and joint library. While in the Assembly he made an able speech in which he advocated the cause of compulsory education. In his profession he ranked high and filled various offices in the Chenango County Medical Society. He was also a member of the State society and of the New York Central and American Medical Association. He was an ornate and ready writer and gave many carefully prepared lectures and addresses on medical, agricultural, scientific and political subjects. His last public appearance as a speaker was when he gave an address of welcome to Capt. Harrison CLARK on his return from the State encampment at Binghamton, where he was elected State Commander. Dr. Beecher never married. At his death he was survived by three brothers, DANIEL and HECTOR Beecher of Coventry, and HARRY Beecher of Norwich, and two sisters, Mrs. HOYT of Pittston, Pa., and Mrs. YALE of Binghamton. Genial, affectionate and cultivated in his taste, he was a true friend and a valued citizen. On Sunday morning at seven o'clock, July 14, 1889, calm and peacefully he passed from the ills and cares, and troubles of life into the rest of eternity in the 68th year of his age.


     SIMEON was the youngest son of WOODWARD WARREN and was born in the town of Coventry, Chenango Co., N. Y., in 1830, at which place his life was spent until the removal of the family to Bainbridge in 1868. He joined the First Congregational Church at Coventryville in the year 1862, and July 4, 1864, was united in marriage to Sarah A., only daughter of Deacon John STODDARD of that place. For a long time his health had been gradually failing and hoping by change of scene and climate to regain it, the winter of 1885, was spent in Florida, with some improvement but during the summer and autumn after his return, the troublesome cough returned and pain increased, until hoping to escape the changes and severity of our northern winter he again accompanied by Mrs. Warren sought the more genial climate, hoping for renewed health and strength. But in vain; weakness and prostration increased until the one great desire remaining to himself, and her who with sad and anxious heart attended him, was to reach home once more. They came the eleventh of May, and the nineteenth he was assisted to the room which he never left again until the wasted silent form was borne by others, thus lingering but a few weeks after his return ere he passed to the land where no shadow or pain or weariness falls. All his life free from those pernicious habits many acquire and indulge in, we only wish his example might be imitated. Of pleasant conversational powers and gentlemenly bearing, he ever chose to mingle with those of cultivated tastes, and being an ardent lover of music, found in it a source of never failing enjoyment. Many besides kindred hearts were touched with sorrow at the tidings of his death, and instinctively recall past hours, when other voices joined his in pleasant evening gatherings. As a teacher of music he was highly competent and earnest, aiming to improve those under his instruction. And for many years led the choir and then to give expression to the sentiments as to bring out as he would often say "the soul of the words and music." The members of the choir and Sunday school, who for many years he was a leader, ever gratefully remember his labors with them, and the few of his early friends in the "long ago," so often sang with him, hope through a Saviour's intercession to meet beyond the storms and changes of time, in the land of eternal light and beauty, and join them in perfect song. At Bainbridge, N. Y., July 26, 1886, he passed to his last meeting place, aged 56 years. His remains were taken to Coventryville, and buried with his kindred dead. As the casket was lowered into the grave amidst the evergreens and flowers hearts echoed these beautiful lines:

"There is a calm for those who weep,
A rest for weary pilgrims found;
They softly lie and sweetly sleep,
Low 'neath the ground."


     Dr. WILIAML (sic) H. BEARDSLEY was born in Butternuts, Otsego Co., N. Y., in 1818. After preparing himself for his profession he came to Coventry and bought out Dr. PRENTISS in 1846, living in the village and practicing till 1869, when he removed to a farm three miles south of Coventry and practiced there till his death, which occurred in 1886, in the 68th year of his age. He stood high in his profession, and in 1859-60 was President of the Medical Society of Chenango County, where his skill was well known and appreciated and where he stood high as a citizen in all the walks of life. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Church and exemplified his faith by his contributions and works and his interest in the cause of religion and good morals in the community in which he lived. His wife was Miss Catherine PHELPS, an estimable Coventry lady who with four sons were left to mourn a devoted husband, a kind and indulgent father. The legacy of a good name and of good deeds were to them and bereaved friends, a source of comfort and consolation. It is said over forty carriages followed the remains of the beloved physician to the cemetery near his old residence in Coventry where he located forty years before.


     ROMEO WARREN was born at Watertown, Conn., Jan. 7, 1799, and at an early age removed to Coventry where he spent the greater portion of his life. He married Miss Lucy LEWIS Nov. 6, 1822, with whom, if he ha survived a few days longer he would have lived sixty-one years. He was emphatically a self made a capital of energy, integrity and perseverance, he accumulated a fair fortune and won his way to the esman (sic?). Commencing life with only teem and confidence of his fellow men. He held at times several offices of trust and responsibility. In 1852 he was elected sheriff of Chenango county, and in 1866-7, he was a member of the State Legislature. In both of these, as well as supervisor of his town, he discharged his duties with great credit to himself and the general satisfaction of the people. For nearly half a century he was a member of the Second Congregational Church of Coventry and in his death which occurred Oct. 25, 1883, in his 84th year, that society lost one of its staunchest adherents. Thus passed away not only one of the oldest residents of the county, but one who was universally respected and esteemed.

     (Note the inconsistent sentences above -- typed exactly as printed in the book.)


     Deacon THADDEUS HOYT died in Coventry, N. Y., March 21, 1867, aged 67 years. Seldom does the church part with a more devoted, honored Christian brother. He was what the world so much needs, eminently a Godly man, a strict conscientious Christian possessing largely the grace of charity and one whose life a steady light, and whose piety honored his Saviour. He left the companion of his youth and ten children, all professed followers of Jesus; one a minister of Christ, and three deacons in the church. Surely his life work was well done. Infirm in body, suffering painfully from disease and ripe in Christian experience, he might well exclaim,

"Go and dig my grave today.
Homeward doth my journey tend;
And I lay my staff away
Here, when all things earthly end;
And I lay my weary head
In the only painless bed."


     In Coventry, Dec. 3, 1887, Miss MARY KALES, daughter of Hon. WILLIAM Kales, died suddenly of paralysis of the brain. The funeral was attended on the following Sunday afternoon at the home of her brother-in-law, A. V. TALLMAN. Her father, Hon. William Kales, had gone west on a visit to spend the winter, and being very aged, his infirmities did not allow him to come home to the funeral. For some years Miss Kales held the office of post-mistress of Coventry and discharged the duties of the office with ability and fidelity. She left many friends to mourn her loss.


     HIRAM BLAKESLEE, a life long resident of this town and a farmer in the southeast part, well known in this community, died of congestion of the lungs. He was well advanced in years and had been in poor health for some time.


     In Coventryville, Dec. 10, 1890, aged 70 years, the mother of J. H. STODDARD, who was so well known in this section passed away after suffering a severe and protracted illness.


     In Coventryville, Dec. 18, 1860, Mrs. Eliza PARKER, wife of Duncan Parker, died very suddenly. Apparently in usual health she was playing and singing at the organ, when she stopped and complained of not feeling well. No one was present but her husband and in spite of his frantic efforts to give her relief, she died in a few moments.


     At Coventry, Nov. 8, 1895, LUCIUS MANWARRING, an old and respected resident of this town, entered into his reward and his funeral was held at his late home Monday, Nov. 11. For upwards of sixty years he had been a faithful member of the Second Congregational Church of Coventry, and he was ever ready to help the poor and needy, and visit the sick. He had been a patient sufferer for a long time and had reached the ripe old age of seventy-eight years. He left one daughter, Mrs. SANFORD, of Binghamton, and his wife, who had so patiently cared for him during his long illness.


     Died, in North Afton, Feb. 1, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Marcus WRENCH, Mrs. AMANDA M. JUDD, aged 70 years. Mrs. Judd had been for several years a sufferer from various infirmities which in the more recent months gave rise to serious nervous derangement. In her last sickness, Mrs. Wrench was assisted in the care of her mother by Mrs. J. SHAW of Buffalo, a foster sister. Mrs. Judd was a native of Coventry, where she has always lived. Funeral services were held at the M. E. Church, conducted by Rev. R. C. LANSING of Coventryville. Mrs. Judd was survived by a husband, JOEL Judd, who was in extreme age and physical infirmity.


     In Coventry, March 27, 1893, Mrs. BETSEY J., wife of Daniel BEECHER, Esq., aged 67years.


     Mrs. FRANCES PHILLIPS, second wife of James Phillips, of Coventry, a very estimable and highly respected lady, a devout and sincere Christian, for many years a member of the Second Congregational Church of Coventry and one much beloved by all that knew her, a kind neighbor, always ready to visit the sick and lend a helping hand, passed beyond this mortal life, after a short illness, at her home in Greene, Jan. 23, 1912. Her remains were brought to Coventry and buried by the side of her husband, who passed away over about twelve years before.


     Mrs. ROXIE E., widow of the late SAMUEL Martin of Coventry, died at the daughter's, where she made it her home in Greene, July 28, 1903, aged 76 years. Her funeral was held on Thursday, at her home and her remains were brought to Coventry for burial. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. William KELLEY, to mourn her departure. Mr. Martin's people were, before his death, life long residents of Coventry.


     Mrs. LUCRETIA E. DICKINSON, formerly Miss Lucretia SCOTT, who was born in Coventry in February, 1832, died in Angola, Ind., Feb. 26, 1902, aged 69 years.


     Mrs. MARIA HATCH, formerly Miss Maria HUNGERFORD, was born in Watertown, Conn., in or near the year 1805. She came to this country with her parents in the year 1812. Her girl and youthful days were spent in Coventry. At an early age she commenced teaching school and taught a good many years. After getting along in years she married MOSES Hatch at Kattleville, where she lived until his death, which occurred in 1869 or 1870. She had one son, named MOSES, who died in early youth. Soon after she came to Coventry and lived with her sister, Mrs. SUSAN Judd, until her death which was in 1884, after which she made it her home with her nephew, Chauncey D. HUNGERFORD, until her death, which occurred Dec. 15, 189-. In her younger days she united with the church and has always been a faithful member. A large number of relatives and friends gathered at the home of C. D. Hungerford to attend her funeral and to pay the last respect to the departed sister in Christ. Rev. J. J. HENRY officiated. The departed was an estimable woman and held in high esteem by all who knew her. Much credit is due the M. E. choir for the fine music rendered, and as one looked upon that face for the last time they could say "not dead, but sleeping." Her deeds are her memorial.

Passing away like the dew of the morning,
Soaring from earth to its earth in the sun;
Thus would she pass from the earth and its toiling,
Only remembered by what she had done.
Why should our tears in sorrow
When God returns his own.


     In the death of ALBERT STODDARD, which occurred at this home Monday evening, the community loses a man who has always been held in high esteem by all those who knew him. For nearly 80 years Mr. Stoddard has been a resident of this town, and during that time has held many offices of honor and trust. At an early age he united with the First Congregational church, of which he has since been a faithful member. For many years he held the office of Deacon of the church, until failing heath compelled him to remain much at home.


     Mrs. EMILINE HUNT passed peacefully away Monday, Sept. 28, 1903, at the home of her eldest daughter, Mrs. E. H. WHEELER, after suffering intensely from injuries received in an accident a few days previous, while returning home from the Afton fair, Sept. 25, with her daughter and son-in-law. The funeral was largely attended Wednesday, Rev. A. McINTYRE officiating, and prayer also being offered by Rev. Oscar BEARDSLEY of Oxford. Interment was made in the Coventryville cemetery by the side of her husband, N. G. Hunt, who preceeded her to the other shore four years before. Mrs. Hunt had passed the 80th milestone in life's journey a few weeks ago and how little it was thought to be her last birthday on earth. But again we are reminded of the uncertainty of life. Mrs. Hunt was of keen intellect, was tenderly devoted to her family, was a kind neighbor and friend, and her cherry, helpful and loving presence will be missed in various homes and from the gatherings, social and religious, in all of which she had an active interest. The deceased is survived by a son, FRANK Hunt of Newark N. Y., a son, D. N. Hunt of Coventry and two daughters, Mrs. E. H. WHEELER and Mrs. B. W. PARSONS, both of Coventry.


     MATTHEW S. HOYT was born in 1819. If he was not born in this town he came here very young. He was a thrifty farmer, and one of those hustling men that made farming a success and a good reward for his labors. He was a man of prominence and made a success of all he undertook to do, holding many town offices. He early united with the Second Congregational church of Coventry, of which he was a consistent member all his life, and for many years was deacon. He died Jan. 14, 1891, aged 72 years.


     THOMAS TIFFT was born in Littleton, N. H., in 1829. Most undoubtedly his boyhood and youthful days were spent there, and his education received there. When a young man we find him working in Millbury, Mass. In Millbury, in 1851, he was united in the holy bonds of wedlock with Miss Elizabeth A. PARKER of Coventry, N. Y., and he came to the Parker homestead where RAY Parker now lives. He built the house where Ray Parker now lives, but it stood north some little distance on the east side of the road. He afterward sold that and bought the first farm south of Ray Parker's, long known as the Thomas Tifft farm. He built the barn that now stands there and built the house also. He lived there a good many years. Some time in his life he lived in Guilford a few years. He finally moved to the village and lived there the remainder of his life. He was a member of the Baptist church, I think, all of his life, one of the foremost workers and a strong pillar in that church. He was a good neighbor, sociable and kind, always full of fun, well beloved and respected by all who knew him. They had two sons and two daughters, all living but one daughter. He quietly passed away Nov. 26, 1910, and was buried in the cemetery. His wife has since been buried by his side.


     On Friday afternoon, Feb. 28, 1902, occurred the death of an old and respected townsman, JOHN NIVEN, aged 83 years. For nearly 60 years Mr. Niven had been a resident of the town, and lived for over 50 years on the farm where he died. He was always an honest, upright man and had the esteem of all who knew him. His wife died some 25 years previous. He was survived by his son, GEORGE, who has always lived on the home farm, and one daughter, Mrs. Ella TRUESDELL, both of Coventry. GEORGE TYLER Niven, his son, died Jan. 3, 1911, aged 57 years. Mr. Niven had not been in good health for several years, but had not given up work until the last of October when he had a severe illness and for several days it was thought that he could not recover. But after a little he commenced to regain his health. At Christmas time he was able to ride out and the prospect looked good for many years of life for him. But a few days later he commenced to fail, and failed rapidly till the end came. He was highly respected by all who knew him, a kind neighbor and a true friend. He always lived on the farm where he was born. He was married to Miss Sarah ALLEN, who survives him. He was also survived by two daughters, Mrs. Arthur HUNT, who now lives on the homestead, and Miss EDNA Niven; also one sister , Mrs. Ella TRUESDELL, of Coventry.

     (Note: Mrs. Ella Truesdell was listed both as daughter and as sister).


     CHAUNCEY S. WILLIAMS was born in Coventry, Sept. 1, 1843. His younger days were spent here. His education was acquired in the schools of this town. He lived here till he was about 25 years old and then went west and was gone five years in Wisconsin, and then came back, and in the year 1878 was united to Miss Calista H. HUTCHINSON in the holy bands of wedlock, and lived in the village of Coventry the rest of his life. In his early manhood he united with the Second Congregational church of Coventry, of which he was a faithful member up to the time of his death, which occurred Jan. 31, 1912, in the 66th year of his age. He never enjoyed good health, but still he was not confined to the house but a few days to a time, with the exception of two or three sick spells until the last two winters when he was not able to be out for a long time each winter. He was naturally a quiet man nearly always at home, a man highly esteemed and well beloved by all who knew him. He was a good worker and a strong pillar in the church.


     CALISTA HUTCHINSON, wife of Chauncey S. WILLIAMS, was born Jan. 26, 1827, in Coventry. She was the daughter of Zenas and Electa Hutchinson. Her youthful days were spent in this place, her education was received here, and in her youthful days she joined the Second Congregational church and lived a consistent member all her life. She was a very amiable woman and much loved by all who knew her. She never enjoyed good health and for the last year or more her health was very poor. She died Dec. 10, 1901, aged 72 years.


     TIMOTHY D. PARKER was born in Coventry in 1834. He had been a life long resident of this town. He lived with his father on the old homestead. As he has been spoken of once in this book we will not say but a few words here. He died Sept. 20, 1809, aged 75 years.


     Mrs. MATILDA MINOR passed quietly away Sept. 24, 1910, at the age of 95 years, at the home of her son, ALANSON Minor, where she had lived over 60 years. The deceased had been a faithful member of the First Congregational church for seventy-eight years, and had for some time previous to her death been connected with the church the longest of its present members. Mrs. Minor was born in Connecticut, Feb. 12, 1815, and at the age of three years moved with her parents, Ithuel BLAKE and wife, and resided for a number of years on their farm one mile south of the village. Her first home in those early pioneer days was a log house. In 1837, she married FREDERIC Minor, and a few years later they moved to the farm which has been the Minor homestead ever since. Her husband died 35 years previous. A few years later she lost her eyesight as the result of cataracts and during all the years of widowhood and blindness, and in later years of gradually fading faculties, both physical and mental, she had been exceptionally and lovingly cared for at the home by her son and family. She was survived by one brother, Alanson BLAKE, of Eau Claire, Wis., who was about ninety years of age, and by two sisters, Mrs. Sybil HATHAWAY of Cannonsville, and Mrs. Wealthy HORTON of Bainbridge, and by a son, ALANSON Minor, and a daughter, Mrs. F. C. PEARSALL, all of this place; and by eleven grandchildren and fifteen great grandchildren. She lost a daughter, Mrs. Amasa HATHAWAY, several years ago. The deceased was a woman of strong physical constitution and strong Christian character, and was always interested and enthusiastic in the welfare and advancement of the church and all religious and uplifting influence, and ever in the family was loving and patient, and thoughtful of others and forgetful of self, and endeavoring in every way to be helpful to those around her. Her death took from the village one who has been for years a valued and highly esteemed resident. She belonged to a family line that have been active in the Congregational church. Her grandfather, BENJAMIN BENEDICT, was one of the original members of the church organized over a hundred years ago and he was later elected deacon. Her father, ITHUEL BLAKE, was for many years deacon; and the name of Deacon Blake and his sterling qualities are kindly remembered by the older inhabitants. Her brother, ALANSON BLAKE, was also a deacon and an influential member of the church; and her son, ALANSON MINOR, has served in the same capacity, thus being a representative of the fourth generation since the organization of the church.


     Mrs. CATHERINE T. BEARDSLEY, wife of Dr. William H. Beardsley, was born in 1826, in the town of Coventry. Mrs. Beardsley had reached nearly the four score mark (79 years) of useful life in the more eventful period in the history of the world. She was a faithful wife, a devoted mother, an earnest, consistent Christian through most of her life and for more than thirty years was a member of the Coventry M. E. church. The good example she set in her all her life was a lamp to the feet of all who knew her, and shed its light like a halo over her declining years. She left four sons to mourn her loss: WILLIAM E. and CORY L. Beardsley of this town, FRANK Beardsley of Cazenovia and JAMES Beardsley of Manilla, P. I., where he has a position as engineer in the employ of the United States government. Mrs. Beardsley passed away in 1905, aged 79 years.


     The death of W. H. BENEDICT takes from our midst another one who has been a life long resident and one of Coventryville's most highly respected citizens and a kind neighbor and friend. He was a member of the First Congregational church about 60 years, and was repeatedly elected deacon, and for about 20 years at one time and another. He was an usually efficient superintendent of the Sunday school. For many years he was a very regular and helpful attendant at all the various Sunday morning and evening and midweek services, but owing to failing health and declining years he had been unable to be present as much of late years. He had been gradually failing during the winter, having had an attack of grip and later being affected with heart trouble but more especially a general physical breakdown. He had been able to be up and around the house a portion of each day to the last. That he might be more conveniently cared for he was moved March 29 to the home of his daughter, Mrs. SHAW, on the farm adjoining. But Thursday morning on the old Benedict homestead where he was born 81 years ago, he quietly fell "asleep in Jesus," as was sung at the funeral. He was survived by his widow, Mrs. Lamira MILES BENEDICT, who had been a loving and helpful companion along life's journey for 56 years; two daughters, Mrs. Leroy SHAW and Mrs. E. B. MATTHEWSON; and a sister, Mrs. Erastus IVES, all of this place.


     Mrs. MARY WATERS LOCKWOOD, whose death occurred on Feb. 20, was born in Coventry, N. Y., March 7, 1832, and in that place she grew up to womanhood. There too she was married on Oct. 14, 1857, to the late Rev. William Herbert Lockwood, at that time pastor of the village church. Not long after they moved to Lowville, N. Y., where they remained until 1864, when Mr. Lockwood went to Wisconsin in response to a call to become pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Eau Claire. The next year Mrs. Lockwood, and two children followed to make their home in what was then called the far west. In this new country they labored together until "the night came in which no man can work," and the impress of their Christian characters will remain a lasting tribute to the lives they led. They finished their work together, for scarcely two months after Mr. Lockwood was called home his loving, grieving wife was stricken with paralysis and her active life was over, though for six years longer she was spared to her friends. When in the early morning the message came that she had ceased to suffer and was at rest, a great wave of sorrow swept over many hearts. Not to the family alone, nor to the circle of intimate friends was she missed, but by the members of the church and Sabbath school and the old settlers, whose annual gatherings were once gladdened by her face and voice, and by the members of the Chautauqua Club, who read together many years and named their circle in her honor, The Lockwood Art and Traveling Club. Though she had suffered long none thought the end so near, but it came even as she would have chosen, painlessly and without warning, a beautiful close to a beautiful Christian life.


     REUBEN ROLF was born on Long Island in the year 1811 and lived there till near the year 1837, when he moved to Coventry and bought a large farm three miles south of the village. He was an enterprising, thorough going farmer. At one time he kept 100 cows and had a cheese factory of his own. He was married to Miss Esther WOOD, who died March 14, 1836. ELIZABETH WOOD, his second wife, died Oct. 26, 1853, aged 43 years. He had one son, MOSES, by his first wife and they lost some other children. His third wife was Minerva PHILLIPS of Coventry, their union was blessed with two or three children. She died April 2, 1896, aged 68 years. In 1869, Mr. Rolf sold his farm and moved with his family to Virginia, where he died Jan. 11, 1879, aged 68 years.


     JAMES TREADWAY was born in Connecticut in 1816, moved to Coventry with his parents in 1824 and was a resident of this town until his death, which occurred in 1912.

     The following is a short poem written by Mrs. Cordelia WILDER, one of Coventry's poets, the last one she ever wrote. She was about sick when she wrote it and said if she got better she would write another, but she never lived to write it.

Shall Coventry's record be forgot,
And never brought to mind;
We'll have a thought of kindness yet
For the days of auld lang syne.
Let memory now turn back the scroll
Of years and by gone days;
And Coventry sure has struggled on
And needs a word of praise.
A busy thriving bustling town
We look it o'er with pride;
And count it yet as number one,
A fact that's not denied.
We have had our share of teachers great,
And teachers wise in lore;
And poets, too, come in our rank,
We cannot pass them o'er.
Good, honest merchants come in line,
They've served us well and long;
And they in story or song
Must not be over looked.
Go where you will in foreign lands,
Where'er you chance to roam;
And busy memory ever turns,
To Coventry as the home.

     Dear Friends: I sincerely thank you, each one and all, in town and out, for any assistance you have given me in writing this history of the town of Coventry. As much of it had to be gleamed from the memory of a few of the older inhabitants, the writer trusts that if some one sees errors therein they will kindly pardon.


*End Chapter VIII pg 68-99 (This was 2d Chapter VIII & end of book.)

History of Coventry
Township of Coventry
Chenango NYGenWeb page
This page is maintained by Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN. Send any suggestions to him.
There were 5,438 visitors from 2 Dec 2002 - 2 Jun 2016 - thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 2 Apr 2018