History of the Town of Coventry

by Oliver P. Judd


A Continuation of the Settlers that Came Later

     REUBEN ROLPH came from Long Island in 1837 and settled three miles east of Coventry, on what is now known as the Dr. BEARDSLEY estate. He had 800 acres of land and owned a factory and made cheese; keeping over one hundred cows, and was very prominent in public affairs in the town. He was married three times. His first two wives were sisters, they came from Long Island. I don't know their names. He had one son by his first wife, named MOSES. His third wife was a PHILLIPS of Coventry and she bore him three children. In 1869 he sold out and moved with his family to Virginia, where he bought several hundred acres of land and farmed it there until his death.

     ERASTUS BUTTS came to this town early and settled on the FOLDS farm.

     RALPH JOHNSON one of the early pioneers, settled in the western part of the town. He had four boys, all good farmers and all strong supporters in the Second Congregational church.

     JOHN BURGE, emigrated to this town in the thirties, and lived where Claude WILDE now lives.

     MATTHEW SMITH, SR., came about the same time and lived a year or two at the east part, then moved to the village where he lived a number of years. He was a carpenter and was the head workman on the Baptist church here that they are now tearing down. He helped build many of the houses in the village. He moved to the Four Corners west of Coventry, where Leroy HODGE now lives. His son, MATTHEW Smith, JR., now lives one mile west of Coventry on the farm known as the Joseph JOHNSON place.

     JOSEPH JOHNSON, son of RALPH Johnson, married Hepsey STODDARD, and lived on this farm till his death. He was a carpenter as well as farmer.

     DR. FRISBIE and TRACY ALLEN came from Connecticut at an early date and settled in the western part of the town. Many are the anecdotes related about Dr. Frisbie. We can't write many but to do justice to the man we must relate a few to show his courage and also his skill as a steel worker. When it was dangerous to travel the roads at night on account of wild beasts some one offered to bet with him that he would not dare run from the house where T. M. WILLIAMS now lives to Coventry in the night. He took the bet and won in this way. They made some kind of image as hideous as possible, and placed it in the road about half way and then hid to see what he would do when he saw it. As soon as he saw it he made up his mind that he would not stop if it killed him, and without slacking his run, grabbed the object and carried it to the end of the race. Public travel in those days was mostly by stage coach. Frisbie, with a number of others, was traveling in the southern states in that way. As they were going along over a rough road the heavy load caused the springs to break. The driver stopped and the passengers got out. What to do the driver and the other passengers did not know. Mr. Frisbie asked: "Is there a blacksmith shop near." The driver said yes. Then he said: "We can walk there and get the springs mended." The driver said the blacksmith could not weld them. "Well," said Frisbie, "if he can't, I can." So they all walked to the shop, took off the horses, blocked up the coach, took out the springs and with the help of the blacksmith soon had the broken spring mended and they went to the end of their journey. The driver then asked Frisbie how much he should pay him. He told him nothing. Whereupon the driver begged him to accept as a present $10, which he did. In after years he made a full set of butcher knives and a wooden case to put them in, each one separate so they could not dull and gave them to JAMES A. PARKER, who kept them for many years. When in advanced life, he having no more use for them, he gave them to his nephew, BURTON D. JONES, who now has them. I can well remember when a boy of his coming across by my father's when he went to Coventry, and always stopped to dinner. When squirrels were plenty he always brought his gun and used to shoot more or less of them. One day he took thirteen from my father's woods.

     THOMAS and AUSTIN ELLIOTT were among the early settlers. They were quite hunters making a great deal of money from the bounties that were paid. It was hard getting a trap in those days that would hold a panther or bear, so they invented one of their own. One fall it got to be almost winter and there was not much for wild animals to get, they had an old horse that they thought was not worth wintering and took it out into the woods and killed it, making a pen around it, putting large logs to the bottom and smaller ones as they went up, leaving a space about six feet square on the top and about eight feet high. The animals had to climb up and down and once in there they were in a trap they could not jump out. The next morning they would go and shoot them and get the bounty, thus making the old horse worth more to them than a good team would be today.

     JOHN FOWLER came in from Vermont in the early twenties. I need not speak of his family as they have already been mentioned in connection with the ADKINS family.

     OLIVER BADGER came here about 1812 and settled where Henry SPENCER now lives. I have no authority to say where he came from, but I presume he came from Connecticut, there is where most of the early settlers came from. He was prominent in the town and also in the M. E. church, holding several offices in the church. He had a large family of children, how many and what their names were I cannot tell. I have heard my mother say that there were seven that came to school from there at one time; seven from Philo CLEMMON's and seven from David HUNGERFORD's, all in the same district and all at the same time.

     WHITNEY CORNISH was one of the early settlers, living in the hollow west of W. H. SPENCER's. He, too, had a large family. FRED CORNISH, living on the S. B. FOOT farm, is a grandson, and his family is the only descendants in the town. He also supported the M. E. church.

     Let me say right here that there were a good many families that came to this town, stayed a few years and then moved away, of whom I can get no record.

     A little later came AUGUSTUS TROWBRIDGE, another farmer and good citizen. He was a strong supporter of the Second Congregational church, and had a son and a daughter.

     WAKELY JONES was among the early ones. His son HENRY was known far and near as the best horse doctor in this section of the State.

     URI WATROUS, for many years a farmer, was one of the prominent men in the western part of the town; lived where Clifford WYLIE now lives. He had three children: EUGENIE, who married John FAIRCHILD, afterward T. D. PARKER; JEROME, who married Eva BAIRD, and NETTIE J., who married Clifford WYLIE.

     Of ZERA BEARDSLEY no record has been found, but he came into the town at an early date and settled about two miles west of Coventry. Two sons, AUGUSTUS and BRONSON, both residents of Coventry. The latter was killed in the Civil war. JOSIAH Beardsley, a blacksmith, lived one-half mile west of Coventry. STELSON lives two miles north west of Coventry; had a son SAMUEL and a daughter JULIA. All three brothers were noted men and came from Connecticut.

     THADDEUS HOYT came to Coventry in 1836. He had a large family. Two sons were ministers ,WILLARD was the founder of the Presbyterian church of Nineveh and for many years its pastor. EPHRAIM was a Baptist minister and lived at Bath, Steuben county, N. Y., MATTHEW married Rebecca STEWART. Their children were: SARAH E.; EDWARD P.; ALICE C.; and EMMA L., who married Samuel A. BEARDSLEY; one child, EMMA. SUSAN A. Hoyt died Sept. 20, 1851. MARY P., married Vincent WHITE. Their children were: HENRY V.; JOHN S.; THADDEUS; WILLIAM; VINCENT and MARY. The rest of the Hoyts lived out of town.

     SAMUEL GRISWOLD came into the town at an early date and settled one-half mile west of Coventryville on the place which Noyes GRISWOLD now owns. He married a Miss TRUMBULL. They had five children: ELECTA, who married Stilson BEARDSLEY; JUVENAL, ALBERT and FRANK. SAMUEL had one son, LUCIUS. HARRY, who married Anadine GILMORE and had one son, NOYES. EGFORD, who lived a single life.

     PERRY GILMORE emigrated to this town at an early date. He had a large family, but of only two can I get any track. ANADINE, just spoken of, who married Harry GRISWOLD, and BERIAH, who married and had a family; one son, CHARLES, who was a soldier in the Civil war; a pair of twin girls, and one other child. He was a business man, holding several town offices, also a worker in the Baptist church.

     PAUL BEARDSLEY in the south east part of the town, was one of the early settlers. He had three children: SEBA, HORACE and POLLY, who married David HUNT. SEBA's children were: SALLY ANN, a maiden lady; JULIETTE, who married Theron REED; SOPHRONA, who married Hiram BLAKESLEE; HARRIET, DAVID, GEORGE and OSCAR, who was a Universalist minister. He settled on the place where Eugene SMITH now lives. HORACE settled on the place where Seba BLAKESLEE now lives. He married Clarissa PAYNE and had no children. In the latter part of his life he lived at Coventry. He was a strong supporter of the M. E. church, holding several offices in it and left a dowry for its use.

     ENOCH CARRINGTON was one of the early settlers. He located about one mile south of Coventry on what was part of James WHITLOCK's farm. He afterwards moved to the south east part of the town, where his children lived and died when well advanced in age.

     NELSON WRIGHT came from Oxford about 1869 and settled in the south east part of the town. He had two daughters: MARY, who married Edwin NICKERSON, July 23, 1879, and MARTHA, who married Lewis FOOT.

     CHRISTOPHER ROGERS had a number of children. They all lived in town until maturity. His son, ALPHONZO E. Rogers, lived and died in this town. He had four children: One married Chester L. JONES; another married Henry D. BRIGHAM; J. E. and CHARLES Rogers are now living, the latter has been supervisor and also held other town offices. He had two sons and one daughter.

     JOHN NIVEN came into the town later and settled three miles south east of Coventry. They had four children. His wife was a CONVERSE. Their daughter, MARY ANN, married a WILLIAMS; MATILDA, married Ira NOBLES; DANIEL married Roza HODGE. They had a daughter who married Harvey SMITH of Doraville, N. Y., now deceased, but she is still living. A son, CHARLES, now deceased, who lived in Binghamton. JOHN Nivens, JR., married Emily TYLER, they had two children: GEORGE, now deceased, a farmer, and ELLA NIVEN TRUESDELL.

     HARVEY TYLER came here in 1816 and settled where Mrs. A. MANWARREN now lives. He married Eunice BRIGGS. He came from Connecticut and had nine girls: NANCY, married a BADGER; HARRIET died young; EMILY married John NIVENS; SUSAN married Henry PLUM of Connecticut; EUNICE, married A. HARDY of Wisconsin; -------, married M. T. HOYT; ANTHA, married L. MANWARREN; MARY, married C. ROGERS; HELEN, died at 4 years of age.


     BETSEY ANN Parker, born Sept. 17, 1826; SUSAN Parker, born Dec. 3, 1829; EUNICE Parker, born Feb. 7, 1832; TIMOTHY D. Parker, born June 1, 1834; ABIJAH T. Parker, born Aug. 20, 1841. BETSEY ANN married Thomas TIFT and now lives in Coventry. Mr. Tift is dead. EUNICE married Samuel WATROUS, lived in Colesville, Broome county; SUSAN married Frank WILLIAMS; ABIJAH married Catherine WHEELER, lived in Kansas; TIMOTHY D., married Adelaide SMITH, afterward Eugenie Watrous FAIRCHILD. HIRAM Parker's grandchildren: Thomas TIFT's children, EMOGENE, FRANK, GEORGE and ADDIE. William's family: one son, died in infancy; one adopted son. Samuel WATROUS had one daughter, LIBBIE; TIMOTHY D's., children: ADDIE by his first wife; LENA, who died when 4 years old; RAY, RUTH and BESSIE by his second wife. ABIJAH's children: LOTTIE, CATHERINE and EARL, who died at 12 years.

     As early as 1828, a man by the name of ANTHONY COLE owned the farm adjoining the DAVID HUNGERFORD farm, and died there. Afterwards the family sold the place to BELA HUNGERFORD who kept it till 1845, when he sold it to ORIS TUBBS and moved west. Three years later Tubbs sold it to WESTERN HOLCOMB, who worked it for seven years and ran a coopershop in connection with the farm. In 1855 he sold it to NOAH FOWLER and moved to Greene. Since then HENRY JULIAND bought it of Fowler, who for many years rented it to Mr. WHITTEN, who with his wife has passed away. Their son, COLONEL E., and daughter, PHOEBE, now live in Greene. Phoebe is teaching school. Her brother FRANK is an architect. He had the overseeing of the building of the stone Episcopal church in Greene, and the 14-story Press building in Binghamton.

Early Incidents.

     In the days of the very early settlers when fierce wild animals and wilder red men roamed the forest day and night around the log houses of the early white inhabitants, it was necessary for them to build yards for their horses, oxen, cows, calves, sheep and pigs, when they were so fortunate to own them. They were usually built in this way, by log fence, something like a rail fence, the large logs at the bottom then smaller and smaller until they reached the top, perhaps eight feet high. Then if they left it in that way it was not safe so they would add sharp pointed pickets made of small round poles near each other fastened to the side of the fence or driven into auger holes on the top log, extending up two feet or more. The wolves and wild animals would look a long time before trying to jump over such a picket fence. Such is the protection they had to give their stock at night until they could do better. Even then they would lose some, for they had to let them out days to get food for themselves. Those that had bells for their cows and sheep could usually find them and drive them home for safety. Living here then brought a large amount of hard work and much earnest care and considerable fear for those early settlers, who came to establish homes in the wild woods for themselves and their children. Before they could raise stock for market they had to trust to their eye, their hand and their flint lock rifles to furnish them their supply, which was not easily produced. Mr. MANNING was one of the hunters. During the years he passed here, besides all other wild animals he shot, he brought down with his rifle ninety-nine deer, afterwards he threw a stone with his hand and killed another, making an even hundred. RECORD WILBER was another hunter. He sometimes left his wife alone in their home in the morning to go in search for deer and would wander so far that when night came on he could not return. On one of these hunts he found himself five miles from home and very tired, so he ate what he had for supper, sat down with his back against a tree and with his rifle across his lap slept soundly during the night. When he awoke in the morning and opened his eyes the first thing he saw standing near and looking sharp at him was what he had sought for in vain the day before, a deer. As he looked at the deer he thought to himself if I only had my rifle I could kill him. By an involuntary motion of his hand he touched it. The deer also saw his motion, and before he could raise the rifle and fire it was out of his sight, so he lost him. Being very courageous he never let a chance go by to kill any wild beast that came in his way. He did not keep an account of the number of wild beasts which he had killed, but he took the skin from 43 bears which he had brought down. If they had wanted to they could have dressed in furs every winter. Some of the settlers did use deerskins for clothing and the Indians dressed in them. There was an Indian settlement on the creek near the west side of Mr. WILBER's farm. The Indians often came to his home to borrow things, mostly his rifle and butcher knives. He and his wife did not like to lend them but did sometimes rather than make them angry, for they were a wild set of red men hardly safe at best to live among. The creek was well filled with trout and red and white men took them when they pleased, providing they were able to catch them. Mr. Wilber cleared up his farm, built a good frame house and barn, owned considerable stock, was a good liver, and although he worked hard had enjoyed good health and lived within a few months of 100 years of age.

     PHILO CLEMMENS came in at an early date and settled in the hollow east of Henry SPENCER's. His children were: WYLIE, who was drowned when a young man while going down the river on a raft; DEBORAH, who married Joseph BADGER. Their children were: SARAH ANN, CHESTER, JAMES, LUCINDA and MARY. LUCINDA married Silas GOULD and had one child, JOHN WYLIE; JANE married Rosell SALISBURY; children: GEORGE, SARAH, JULIA and HARRY; MARIA, married Hale SALISBURY; children: WARREN, WYLIE and JANETT; POLLY married Richard HINCKLEY; children: SARAH, WATROUS, EUGENIE and BETSEY, who married Uri WATROUS. Children: EUGENIE, JEROME, and NETTIE; ELIZA married ----- YOUNGS.


     A man by the name of MARCUS PORTER, an early settler, lived one mile west of Coventry, where Mr. GROVER now lives. I have not been able to get a history of the family. I think they came from Connecticut. They were members of the Second Congregational church. I think they had no children and that he was a farmer and well to do. They both died in a few days of each other in 1872.


     JOSEPH FOOT, an old Revolutionary soldier, came in soon after his son APOLLOS, who came about 1788. He settled on the farm where Edgar WATERS now lives and had three sons and three daughters. He was a man who accumulated a large fortune and at one time he owned about seven hundred acres of land. He and his sons were business men well known in Coventry, and strong pillars in the M. E. church. Joseph Foot was over one hundred years old when he died. His children were: APOLLOS, ALANSON, and LODEMA. APOLLOS, married Amelia NICHOLSON and his children were: GEORGE who married Sarah WELLS. His children were: LEROY, ELIZABETH, AMELIA, MONROE, LILLIAN, ANNA, APOLLOS; ISAAC married and had no children; THERESA married Delen C. WINSTON. Their children were: DENISON, who married Nancy ELLIOTT; ADELBERT and MARION; JENNIE, married Stephen KIND, afterwards Layer CHATMAN; JENETTE, married John S. BARNES; children: CHARLES, EMMA, FRANK and THERESA. She afterwards married Reuben PALMER. HARRIET, who married Madison KING. Their children were: ARTHUR and MABLE. FREDERICK, married Mary HIDGIN. Children: FRANK, HARRY, HATTIE, LEON and CROY. FLOYD died young. LEGRAND's children: EMMA and WALTER. ROSE, married William MARBLE. Children: EUGENIE, FLOYD, CHARLES, ELY, NELLIE, FREDERICK, ARCHIE. MELISSA married Albert GRISWOLD, and had one son, ALBERT. Afterwards married Charles HINMAN. Children: BALIS, HENRY, CHARLES, IDA. MILICENT, married Ransom WRIGHT. Children: APOLLOS, MARY, JANE, JOSEPHINE. T. G .FOOT married Henrietta HINCKLEY. Children: SUMNER, DEFOREST, CLARENCE and BLANCH, EZRA FOOT married Harriet COHOON. Children: NELLIE, HATTIE, RAYMOND, MINNIE. ALANSON FOOT , brother to Apollos, married Theresa HINMAN. Children: JOSEPH, OSCAR, MELVIN, MARIETTA. MELVIN married Emma GRISWOLD. MARIETTA married William CONOVER. LODEMA FOOT died young. ELIZA FOOT, sister of Apollos, married Charles MARTIN, and had one son, CHARLES.

The PORTER Family

     SAMUEL PORTER came from Connecticut in the year 1808, with two yoke of oxen and a pair of horses. His wife's name was Cibil MUNSON. Their children were: STEPHEN, OBADIAH, AZUBA, MARSHAL, SAMUEL, MUNSON, SHELDON, LOREN B. and LEONARD. SHELDON married Parmelia BALIS. His children were: WILLIAM, LEONARD, REBECCA, SAMUEL and STEPHEN. Leonard married Martha BUCKLEY. His children were: JANE, EMILY, SAMUEL, GEORGE, DOLLY, LUCIOUS who died young, and JULIA. LOREN B. married ----- BEARDSLEY. His children were: ELIZA, CHARLES, LUCY, SARAH and EDWARD. The Porters settled on the place where Fred PORTER now lives. The old barn a little north of Fred's house was built in 1809, the same sidings are on it that were first put on, rough pine boards 103 years ago and are in a fair way to last another century. The barn was never painted. Oh, for more of the old hill pine, we would not have to shingle our houses so often. The Porters were all or nearly all farmers and mechanics. At one time they run a chair factory. The house that EDWARD lived in stood across the creek and was built for a factory. SHELDON moved to the south-eastern part of the town; lived and died there. LEONARD lived and died on the old homestead for many years. He moved to Iowa in 1857. LORIN lived and died where his son Edward now lives.


     WILLIAM SPENCER came to this town about 1797 and settled where Frank MANNING now lives. He had three sons and one daughter: DORCAS, who married Leonard PARKER and had two sons, FRANK and RICHARD, and one daughter. ZEBA Spencer married POLLY BLAKESLEY, died and had no children. She afterwards married Moses ALLIS. PHINEAS S., married and had a large family. WILLIAM Spencer, JR., married Polly BUTTS and lived where his son HENRY now lives. His children were: BETSEY, who married Thomas TERRY who run a woolen mill at Bettsburgh. MORGAN, married Catherine VAN VALKENBURGH, and had four boys. SARAH, married Robert ODELL, and had three children. NELSON H., married Hannah PRATT, four sons and one daughter were the result of their marriage. BYRON married Josephine JONES. FRANKLIN married A. Anna PADDLEFORD and had three boys and two girls. W. H. Spencer, married Mary E. SALISBURY and had one son and two daughters. He had been quite a prominent man in town affairs and also in the M. E. church. SEBA Spencer, kept a hotel here and I think built the one that stands now. PHINEAS was a farmer. One day while chopping wood he felled a tree across a log and his little child, unbeknown to him, had come out and stood on the other side of the log. When the tree fell the top whipped over the log and killed the child, and he did not know it till he trimmed out the tree and saw her lying there.


     Oliver Badger came in here quite early, the exact date is unknown. He married Lucretia BUTTS. Children: two boys, WILLIAM and ORIN and a daughter, ELIZABETH. DEBEDIRE ELIZA BUTTS married a Mr. LEACH, had one daughter who married a man by the name of BIRDSALL, a Baptist minister, and moved to Ohio.

     JONATHAN ATWATER, early settler, lived just west of W. H. Spencer's, and had one son, GERRETT, who lived here several years and had a large family.

     The ROOT family lived where Edgar WATERS lives and one son became editor of a paper in Kansas.

     JOSEPH ACKLEY, an early settler, had a family. One grandson, CHARLES Ackley, now living in town near the old homestead.


     ELISHA PORTER, an early settler, came from Connecticut and settled three miles south west from Coventry where Charles ACKLEY now lives. He had seven children: WILLIAM, JOSEPH, PHINEAS, NORMAN, PERMELIA, JULIA and ALMIRA. PERMELIA married a man by the name of HATCH; JULIA married George EDGERTON.


     WHITING CORNISH married Temperance WYLIE, an early settler about four miles south west of Coventry, date uncertain. Their children were: JOHN, MARIA, LAVONIA, TEMPERANCE, GEORGE, ELIZABETH, WHITING, AUGUSTUS, SARAH, ISABEL and JANE. JOHN married Romania MANDEVILLE; MARIA married Augustus TROWBRIDGE, LAVONIA married first a MOORE and second a Weston HOLCOMB; Temperance married Ezra CONANT; George married widow Emeline TREADWAY BLAKESLEY; ELIZABETH married H. H. COOK of Oxford, WHITING AUGUSTUS married Mary MALLORY; Sarah never married; ISABELL married Rev. Lewis HARTSOUGH, a Methodist minister, and is the last of the family; JANE married Dr. Harvey BEARDSLEY.

SCOTT Family

     VICTOR SCOTT came in quite early, settled about two miles south of Coventryville. He married Roxanna LORA. Their children were: LUCRETIA, GEORGE, CORDELIA, WALTER, SAMUEL, MELVIN, OLIVE. LUCRETIA married Milton DICKERSON. GEORGE never married and died young. CORDELIA married Frank SALISBURY; SAMUEL was married twice; WALTER married Roxanna NEWTON; MELVIN never married; OLIVE married Silas BEIGH.


     JOSEPH ELLIOTT and four sons, ABISHA, JOAB, THOMAS and ADON, all grown up, came in from Deerfield, Mass., in 1803 and settled in the south west part of the town. I cannot get a full history of them but what I have I will give. JOAB Elliott married Nancy HENDRIC, of Massachusetts. Their children: AMASA, ELDREDGE, CYRUS, EDGECOMB, STEPHEN, ANDREW, HARRY, FRANKLIN and NANCY. ELDRED married Madame BELDEN; CYRUS married Sarah SPAULDIN; STEPHEN died young. ANDREW married Jane LEACH; HENRY married a Miss CLEARWATER; FRANKLIN never married; NANCY married Edwin ELLIOTT; JOAB, JR., married Parmelia MEAD. Children: NANCY, married Simeon BURROWS and had two daughters; SALLY, married David KINSMAN and had two sons, AUSTIN and BLISS, and one daughter, AUGUSTA; POLLY married Alanson SMITH. Children: BUUSHABAY, FREDERICK, MYRON, POLLY, and three died young; FRANKLIN married Nancy HINCKLEY. Two children: NAOMI and FRANKLIN; JOSEPH, married Helen WYLIE. Children: JAMES, DUDLEY, HIAL, LUCY and MARY; BETSEY married Joshua HARRINGTON. Children: ISABELL, FRANCIS, WESLEY and NEG; JOHN Elliott married Betsey GOULD. Their children were: JANE, NANCY, LENORA, KINDRIC, OLIVER and HIAL; JANE married ----- Children: ALICE, EUGENIE, BELA, NANCY, married and had no children; LENORA, married and had one child; KINDRIC and OLIVER never married; HIAL married and had one son. ABISHA Elliott's children: MARILLA, JERRY and ABISHA.

     An incident is related of FRANKLIN Elliott, when a boy his father sent him to HAYNES' mill on horseback with a grist to be ground. It was late when the grist was ready for him and it got dark. He had to go through a piece of woods and the wolves got after him; the horse snorted and run and he had to get his feet up on the grist to keep the wolves from getting him. When he got most home he came into the clearing and the wolves left him.

     As we have been writing about so many of the old settlers that have gone through the valley on to the beyond, we think it would be appropriate to put in a poem, written by Mrs. CORDELIA WILDER, one of Coventry's poets:

Shall We Know Each Other There

When the earth's fondest ties are riven
And we've crossed the swelling tide,
Shall we know our loved and loving
Over on the other side:
Shall we know the shouts of welcome
From the loving ones that wait?
Shall we know them as they're watching,
Waiting at the golden gate?
Little feet that here have pattered,
Making music all the day;
Little voices wild with laughter,
Driving busy care away;
Little hands that gathered flowers-
Twined them gaily in our hair,
Little lips that kissed us softly,
Shall we know them "over there?"
Shall we know the tender mother,
Though we kiss her pale and cold,
Through her hair was streaked with silver,
There 'tis tinged with Heaven's gold.
Yes! We'll know the sainted mother
When we clasp her hand again,
When she strikes one cord of music
We shall catch the old refrain.
We shall know earth's dearest treasures;
Tread the golden streets with them,
We shall join the Heavenly chorus,
Chanting there one great amen.
We shall wear bright crowns in glory
If our crosses here we bear,
We shall know of King and Saviour,
And our loved ones "over there."

     Since writing about the old plank road that the Porters' built one-half mile for nothing, I have been informed that they furnished the plank and built the half mile for $300.

     A man by the name of ROLLIN SWEET came in from Connecticut, date unknown, but it must have been very early, for he had to cut his own road part of the way from Bainbridge. He had a large family, and settled about two miles east of Coventryville. One grandson, WILLIAM Sweet, is now living in the eastern part of the town.

The PACKARD family

     ANSON PACKARD came here about 1800 and settled one mile west of Coventry, on the farm now owned by Matthew SMITH. Their children were: SALLY, who married Caleb MERRRILL and their children were: OLIVER, NATHANIEL, GEORGE, IRA, FREDERICK, RANSOM, THOMAS, JULIA and Mary. SULVIA, married Samuel ORSBORN; their children were: ALLANA, LOUIS, EMILY, SARAH, IRA and BENJAMIN. LARKIN married Amanda ATWATER; their children were: ADNEY, HARRIET, IRA, SYLVESTER, ELIZA ANN, CHARLES, CHESTER, LYDIA, CALLISTA. ANSON Packard's children were: GEORGE, STEPHEN, ALMIRA, ANN and MARY. HOWARD Packard married Lucretia CARY, and their children were: LEWIS, HENRY, CALVIN and SARAH. LIDA married Lewis BENEDICT, they lived in the west. MERCY married Eris HOTCHKISS. Their children: JOSEPHINE, LEWIS and FRANK. HANNAH, married Adolphus STILES. Their children were: EMILINE, MERCY, LARKIN, JANE, ELIZABETH and LAURA. LAURA Stiles married John KELLEY of Coventry. One son, FRANK, who married Addie TIFFT, and one daughter, LAURA, who married Frederic PORTER of Coventry.


We come on this day so fair and bright,
Our hearts transfused with its rays of light,
Till the inner depths most warmly glow,
And with kindest greetings o'erflow.
In winter time when winds are high,
And snow and sleet go whirling by,
We sit and dream of the brighter days
Of summer time, with their golden rays.
Or autumn's harvest born of bloom,
And long to flee from the season's gloom;
But we know that time will surely bring
From under the snow the flowers of spring.
So the years go passing swiftly by,
Awhile with sunshine or clouded sky,
And we often turn to the happy past,
Days of childhood that could not last!
Let us look today, there's a picture bright
Of the old red house, how still in sight;
We see again each pleasant nook,
List to the sound of the babbling brook,-
As its ripples break o'er our small bare feet,
And eyes in sparkling glances meet,
Or sit upon its pebbly shore,
Watching our ship sail swiftly o'er.
Proud ships borne from the old sawmill,
Bark and sawdust we see them still;
And the gristmills wheel with merry sound
Ever going its ceaseless round.
We know where once the milltroughs lay,-
But all, like childhood, has gone away.
For a moment we'll enter the open door,
Where ever a welcome is in store.
Cheerful faces within appear;
Ripples of laughter greet the ear;
While a strong man tosses a blue eyed boy,
And a dark-eyed girl fills the cup of joy.
Friend of my childhood, friend of my years!
There are changes we see through a mist of tears,
No longer we linger but turn away,
Let joy rule the hours of the present day.
Why are such numbers gathered here,
With smiling faces and friendly cheer?
Ah! The day will, as the birthday chime
Rings out for one just in his prime.
Eighty years with their joy and pain;
Eighty years with their toil and gain;
Ceaseless strivings and victory won,
To be crowned at last with the glad "well done."
Guarded still with the watchful care,
Of those who your joys and sorrows share.
Many or few as the years may roll,
May you sing "there's sunshine in my soul."
There's a happy bond on the unseen shore,
To welcome you when earth's work is o'er;
Lovingly will they watch and wait
Till you pass to them through life's sunset gate.

     JAMES WYLIE, SR., came in form Columbia county, N. Y., in 1799, settled on what is now part of Guy Wylie's farm on the west side of the creek, between the creek and where Guy's house now stands. He built the first Wylie house. JAMES WYLIE, JR., came in with his father, a man of a family, four sons and four daughters. DANIEL married a Miss EDGERTON; two sons and two daughters. BETSEY married William THOMAS; two sons and two daughters. JAMES, THE THIRD, married Sally FAIRCHILD; five sons and one daughter. TEMPERANCE, married Whiting CORNISH; two sons and six daughters. MARIA married a MANDEVILLE; one son and one daughter. POLLY married a BURTON; two sons and two daughters. JOHN married Estey INCKLEY; three sons, FLOYD, BURTON and JAMES, THE FOURTH. JAMES WYLIE, THE THIRD, his family: THOMAS Wylie, born Dec. 27, 1815. RUSSEL D. Wylie, born Dec. 27, 1817. J. HOEL Wylie, born April 8, 1820; GEORGE Wylie, born April 10, 1822; HANNAH Wylie, born Nov. 17, 1825, and died Oct. 7, 1845; HUBBARD H. Wylie, born Dec. 6, 1827; JOSEPH Wylie, born Sept. 9, 1833, and died Dec. 9, 1845. JAMES Wylie, THE THIRD, died Apr. 9, 1854, aged 68 years. Sally, his wife, died May 11, 1864, aged 74 years. HUBBARD H. Wylie married Sabra BROWN. They had one child, JESSIE S., born Oct. 19, 1867; died in Feb., 1886, aged 19 years. HUBBARD H., died Jan. 16, 1910, aged 82 years. THOMAS, died March 31, 1898, aged 83 years. J. HOEL died June 1, 1889, aged 69 years. RUSSEL, died June 25, 1896, aged 79 years. GEORGE died July 19, 1900, aged 78 years. I think one son of James Wylie, Jr., named SAMUEL has been left out. He was the father of JOHN and HAWLEY and several other children. It has been hard work for the writer to get any history of the Wylie family, he worked hard and long, traveled about twenty-five miles, before he could get any information, but at last, many thanks are due Burton WYLIE and Mrs. Hubbard Wylie for all the information I have got has come from them.

     A family by the name of WOODWARD, settled in the south east part of the town at an early date, his first name I have not been able to learn. If I have been informed right he was the father of DARIUS, HEMAN and YALE Woodward. They were quite prominent in that part of the town. There are several grandchildren in town and some out of town. One granddaughter, Mrs. Charles BUSH, lives near Nineveh. EDWARD Woodward of Coventry is a grandson, and Mrs. Henry MERELL in the south east is a granddaughter, and I think there are several others that I do not call to mind.

     STEPHEN FLETCHER, son of JOSEPH and Susan A. SHERWOOD FLETCHER, was born at White Plains, Westchester, county, N. Y., April 12, 1846. About the year 1850 his parents removed to Guilford, N. Y. He attended school at East Guilford, and by diligence and hard work acquired an education so that he had taught school several terms. After which he learned the wagon maker's trade, but his health would not permit him to be shut in doors, and he had to give up wagon making. He next took up farming and followed it until his death, which occurred on May 15, 1908. On Nov. 5, 1873, he was united in the bond of holy wedlock with Miss Jennie E. BEALE of East Guilford. He farmed it in Guilford and Butternuts till 1886, when he removed to Coventry and lived here and farmed it the remainder of his life. In 1870 he united with the M. E. church at Rockdale and was one of the leading members, being superintendent a good share of the time; always taking part in the choir, and for a good many years in the latter part of his life was chorister. He was quite prominent in settling estates and drawing and proving wills. In politics he was a Republican until the Prohibition party came up, after which he voted the Prohibition ticket.

End of Chapter V pg 26-37

Next Chapter
History of Coventry
Township of Coventry
Chenango NYGenWeb page
This page is maintained by Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN. Send any suggestions to him.
There were 4,710 visitors from 1 Dec 2002 - 2 Jun 2016 - thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 2 Apr 2018