Annals of Oxford.

"The days come and go liks (sic) muffled and veiled figures;
but they say nothing, and if we do not use the gifts
that bring they carry them as silently aways."

Extracts from a Journal.


    Extracts from a Journal, written by Miss Susan HOPKINS, daughter of Capt. Frederick Hopkins. It is dated Oxford Female Seminary, February 22d, 1836:

    This week begins the last half of this term and I commence Journal Writing. My studies this term are Philosophy, Tytler's History, Emerson's Arithmetick, Grammar, and Woodbridge's Geography. We go up stairs nearly every week to see Philosophical experiments, they are generally very interesting. We repeat verses from the Bible every other morning. My verse this morning was Mr. Bailey's text yesterday forenoon. It was in John 3 chapter 16 verse . . . I attend singing school every Saturday, we have a very pleasant school. There are upwards of sixty scholars. Mr. BUEL, the teacher, is very strict. Wednesday evenings we have a Sigourney society. We speak pieces and have a Mirror read that is very interesting, and repeat facts, and Miss R. selects an interesting story to read. Now I must put up my writing to read and spell.

Tuesday 23, 1836.

    I am again seated at Miss HYDE's table to write my Journal. It it (sic) not quite as pleasant to-day as it was yesterday, as the sun does not shine, but it is as warm I think. . . . This afternoon I have got to cipher. I am ciphering in interest. I find the sums very difficult and cannot do them without a great deal of assistance. . . . I will put up my Journal and attend to my lessons.

Thursday, February 25, 1836.

    To-day the wind blows quite hard and the snow flies. Tuesday evening we did not go up stairs as we thought we should, but I went to a party at Mr. MILLER's. We had a very pleasant party. Yesterday Miss CHEEVER came to school for the last time. She is going home next week. I wrote to M. G. THROOP yesterday. I am going to send it by Miss Cheever. Last evening we went up stairs. The experiments were not as interesting as we expected them to be. We saw the Magick Lantern. That was very pretty, but I have seen that before. . . . This morning the Trustees came in school, but did not happen to hear me recite, which I was very glad of. This week is the week to write compositions, which I must be a thinking about. I dread to hear the name of composition, but it is for my improvement so I must do the best I can.

Friday, February 26, 1836.

    To-day it snows very fast, the flakes of snow are so large they look almost like feathers. Sarah Jane was taken with the croup day before yesterday and is no better yet, she has it very hard. . . .

Monday, February 29, 1836.

    Another cold stormy day. I did not write a Journal Saturday, as there was no school. . . . In the evening I went to singing school, the afternoon I spent at Dr. CLARK's with Miss Cheever and M. PERRY. Yesterday was Sunday. In the morning I attended the Methodist meeting. In the afternoon there being no meeting at the Methodist, I went to the Baptist. To-day the weather is very cold and it snows. I came to school very early. We repeated verses, mine was in Philippians, 2 chapter, and 14 verse. Miss Hyde came to school, but was sick and went home. Miss U. GLOVER heard us recite. . . .

Tuesday, March 1st, 1836.

    To-night there is a cotillion party at Mr. Clark's, which I calculate to attend. Miss Hyde was not well enough to come to school to-day and Miss M. MAINE heard us recite.

Thursday, March 3, 1836.

    . . . Miss Cheever started for home yesterday morning. I spent the evening with her before she left at a cotillion party at Mr. Clark's. I received a letter from L. WHEELER day before yesterday. She expects to come to Oxford to school next term.

Monday, March 7, 1836.

    I have not written a Journal since Thursday as I have not had time. . . . Yesterday was very pleasant in the forenoon. Mr. BUSH preached. . . . I received a note Saturday from Miss A. C. RODMAN.

Tuesday, March 8, 1836.

    . . . Yesterday C. Hyde came to school in the afternoon. It was her birthday, fifteen years old. I think I shall go home this afternoon as I have not been since New Year's day, which is longer than I ever staid away before. Last evening sister received a letter from Cousin Jane. She says the snow is four feet deep at Kingston, Pa., and they have had severe cold weather.

Thursday, March 10, 1836.

    According to my expectations, Tuesday afternoon I went home. In the morning my brother John went up the river five miles for a doctor for Mrs. HULL, who is very sick, and I went with him. I had a very pleasant ride as it was a beautiful day. I did not get back until after school had begun, but was in time to learn my Philosophy and History lessons. In the evening we went up stairs to see some experiments. Mr. McKoon showed us the electrical machine, and also the umbra and penumbra caused by the shadow of the earth and moon. These he illustrated by taking a pail and putting it on the floor and setting three candles on one side of it, the shadow of which caused the umbra and penumbra. These were very interesting. . . . We read in the Bible this morning the 1st Chapter of Mark. I recited in Philosophy and History this morning and did many difficult sums. This afternoon I have read but not spelt. The reason we have not I do not know. I must now study my Grammar.

Monday, March 14, 1836.

    Friday evening I went to the Presbyterian singing school. Saturday was a very pleasant day. In the evening I went to singing school again. Yesterday Mr. Bush was at the Episcopal meeting all day. Next Saturday is to be our last school, we are to meet in the Episcopal church in the afternoon and in the evening at the Baptist. . . . This morning the bell tolled for Mr. McCALPIN, he died last evening. . . . This evening there is to be a dancing school and to-morrow evening is to be he last cotillion party.

Tuesday, March 15, 1836.

    Last evening, I very unexpectedly went to dancing school. There were but few there, but we spent the evening very pleasantly. . . . Sister went home this morning. . . . Of late I have had nothing to write in my Journal, the cause I know not.

Monday, March 21, 1836.

    Saturday afternoon the singers met at the Episcopal church and in the evening at the Baptist, which was our last school. We are going to meet to practice at Miss E. BUTLER's Saturday evenings. . . . I am going to review Conversation in Common Things.

Friday, March 25, 1836.

    Last evening I went to the publick dancing school. There were a great many there and we stayed very late and enjoyed ourselves very much. . . . This noon when I went home I found mother and Julia there. . . . This evening the Presbyterians have their last singing school in the Presbyterian meeting house. . . .

Monday, March 28, 1836.

    Friday evening I went to the Presbyterian singing school. I did not think they sung any better than we did, although most or many of our school were there. Saturday afternoon I spent at Mr. PERKINS'.

Tuesday, March 29, 1836.

    As soon as the usual exercises were over I did some sums in Percentage and Interest by Decimals, which I found very difficult. I then learnt my Philosophy lesson. As soon as we had recited the French teacher came in and took his class in the recitation room, so I did not hear him talk.

Thursday, March 31, 1836.

    Yesterday after school I went home with father, who was down, and found mother and all well. Harriet HALL was there, she staid all night. This morning I came down alone on the crust and had a very pleasant walk. When I came to school I found it had been begun sometime, but I was very industrious and worked quite hard all at one sum and could not do it after all. Miss ROBINSON tried once or twice, but did not succeed in getting it right. I thought I should go through the Book to-day, but I shall not, as I cannot do nor understand them at all, but I have one consolation there are but three or four sums more. This morning I learnt eight and a half pages in philosophy and six selections in Tytler's History. As my stock of news is exhausted I will put up my Journal and work at that sum that I could not do this morning.

Friday, April 1st, 1836.

    . . . There was a meeting at Church to-day, it being Good Friday but I did not go as I had to come to school. The girls have trimmed the room with greens, some that make it look like summer almost, I finished reading the Scottish Chiefs last evening and commenced the Hungarian Brothers.

Tuesday, April 5th, 1836.

    There has been no school since Friday, as Miss Robinson has been away, therefore I have not written any Journal, and now I have the more nonsense to write. Saturday the Doctor came to see Sister, as she was lame. Saturday evening I went to Mr. TRACY's to singing school. We had a very pleasant school. There were but few there. Sunday I went to church all day. Sister was lame so she did not go, and John staid home to take care of her. Our folks came down in the sleigh, but went home at noon, so I did not see them. Yesterday I made some bread for the first time. Sarah Jane spent the day at our house yesterday. This morning I came to school quite early and learnt my lessons as usual. I thought when I commenced writing my Journal I should have a great deal of nonsense to write, but I find I have not as much as I expected.

Wednesday, April 6th, 1836.

    It is very unpleasant to-day, the wind blows and it snows in flurries. Brother John watched at Mr. LOBDELL's last night. I have no news.

Saturday, April 9th, 1836.

    I did not write a Journal yesterday as I was not at school. Sister is sick and lame. It is very pleasant. This evening the singing school is at Mr. GLOVER's.

Monday, April 11, 1836.

    I wrote in my Journal Saturday it was pleasant, and so it was then, but in the afternoon it commenced raining and continued doing so through the night. Sunday the water commenced rising and continued to rise through the day. The water came up across the road on both sides of the square. In the forenoon I went to the Methodist meeting, they did not have any preaching, there was a prayer meeting. In the afternoon I went to church, the water had then just begun to run across the walk by the postoffice. Mr. VAN INGEN preached. I rode home in a wagon, some went home in a boat. The people think there is great danger of the bridge going off, but last night the water fell a great deal so it does not run over both walks to-day. Mr. LOBDELL and Mr. GUERNSEY died yesterday.

Wednesday, April 13, 1836.

    I did not come to school yesterday afternoon as I went to Mr. Guernsey's funeral. Mr. BUSH preached. His text was in Job, 14th chapter and first verse: "Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble." It was very pleasant yesterday, but to-day it is exactly the reverse. It is very cold and snows very fast. It is five or six inches deep I should think. This morning I came to school quite early and said verses, the one I learnt was in Proverbs, 18th chapter and 22d verse: "Whoso findeth a wife, findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favor of the Lord." . . .

Thursday, April 14th, 1836.

    . . . To-morrow is the last day of school. We have no examinations.

Monday, May 15, 1836.

    I am again seated in my old seat at school. Miss WHITNEY is the teacher this term. There are a great many scholars from abroad at school this term already and more are expected this week.

Monday, May 30, 1836.

    I have not written a Journal for some time because I have not had time. My Philosophy and Geography and Arithmetic occupy all the morning, and my Grammar the afternoon, as it is very difficult to learn. We have to learn all the fine print as well as the coarse, which I never did before, therefore it requires a great deal of attention and study. We write a composition once a fortnight, half the school one week and half the next. Wednesday afternoon is spent in reading and hearing compositions read. Miss Whitney takes a great deal of pains in our reading. There are 44 scholars in school. Miss Whitney has no assistant yet, but is going to have one as soon as the trustees can get one. Friday evening I went to Mr. TRACY's to singing school. The next one is on Friday next at Mr. GLOVER's. There was one at church as usual last Sunday at 5 o'clock at the Episcopal church. Next Sunday the Bishop is expected. We are learning several pieces of music for the occasion. . . . Last week Thursday evening Mr. H. and G. VAN WAGENEN came from New York and took tea at our house on Saturday.

Tuesday, June 7th, 1836.

    Last Saturday Sister went up to Norwich to hear the Bishop. Sunday he was here. There were two baptised and eleven confirmed. The Bishop called at our house in the evening but I did not see him. Monday Sister went to Greene with the Bishop and returned in the evening. The singers had selected and learnt several pieces to sing, but the Bishop would let them sing none of them. Wednesday was the celebration of the capture of Santa Anna. The boys fired the cannon in the afternoon and evening. It happened to be a singing school at Mr. CLARKE's, and the Oxford band played upon the stoop, and fireworks on the green, which were splendid. We did not sing much that evening. There are 49 scholars in school now. Emily MAPLES has come back and E. CANNON is coming this week.

Thursday, June 16th, 1836.

    The 10th of June went over to Fayetteville at meeting. The Bishop was there. I went over with Colonel VAN WAGENEN and M. VAN WAGENEN and S. PERKINS. We had a very pleasant ride. Sister E. and H. CARY went over on horseback and when we came back I rode Sister's horse and she came in the carriage. We had a delightful ride. Monday A. MILLER and I went down to Mr. STEVENSes . We had a very pleasant visit of course. Yesterday we went up stairs to hear the young gentlemen speak. There were between 30 and 40 spoke and 4 or 5 compositions read. I was very glad there was no more as they were so long. I got very tired. The Miss COBBs have come from N. York. They are pretty girls. I called on them last evening. There are 52 scholars in school now.

Monday, June 20, 1836.

    Yesterday the son of Mr. Rufus BALDWIN was drowned, Lyman Baldwin, aged 18. He was in the river bathing when he was drowned.

Tuesday, July 5th, 1836.

    The assistant teacher, Miss PAGE, has come from Owego. She came last week and Mrs. THROOP and Mary came the first of last week, they are now at Mr. MILLER's. Saturday there was one of the greatest hail storms here ever known. It lasted one hour and a quarter. The hail stones were so large as to break windows. Yesterday was a very still day here for the fourth of July. The band went to Norwich, and the older ladies, I mean not the smallest girls such as myself, went to ride to Greene with the young gentlemen and a very sad accident happened to Angeline WHEELER. As the party was returning they got this side of Mr. MORGAN's and the horses run and the carriage broke and all were upset. A. W. was hurt most, her leg was broken and what else I do not know as yet. The party left her at the tavern and the rest or part of them came home. Here ended the 4th of July, 1836. And my Journal also.


How sleep the brave who sink to rest,
By all their country's wishes bless'd!

    When the Revolutionary War broke out Thomas Van-GAASBECK and Elisha JEWELL were among those who took up arms in defense of their country, whose soil had been invaded by a hostile force, and rendered as volunteers what service they could. Both were young, ardent and brave. After the close of the war they came to Oxford to reside. Mr. Van-Gaasbeck died on the 28th of April, 1841, aged 82; and Mr. Jewell on the 15th of March, 1842, aged 85. The bodies of the old veterans rest in peace in Riverview cemetery.


    JUDGE HENRY STEVENS, born in 1792, at Enfield, Ct., came in 1802 with his parents to Chenango County. In 1807 he was a student in Oxford Academy. After finishing his studies at this institution he read law with Stephen O. RUNYAN, and in 1814 he commenced the practice of law in Cortland, where he died in 1869.

Sunday is the golden clasp that binds together
the volume of the week. --- LONGFELLOW.

Congregational Church.


    A period of about eight years had elapsed after the first institution of learning was erected before there was any religious organization in Oxford. However the church history had a beginning September 9, 1799, when the first religious society was incorporated and designated as the "Associated Presbyterian Society of Oxford." Its earliest foundations however, were labors of Uri TRACY, of whom mention is made elsewhere, for prior to the formation of any church in Oxford he seems to have been recognized as virtually the pastor of the community. The minister who was instrumental in organizing this church was the Rev. John CAMP, a graduate of Yale college. He was one of the trustees of Oxford Academy, and apart from this ministerial labors he seemed to have been a helpful, uplifting factor both in the promotion of education and religion. His home was on the farm northeast of the village, now owned and occupied by James BURKE. The first trustees of the church were: Uri TRACY, Jonathan BUSH, Edward ROBBINS, Joshua MERSEREAU, John NASH, Nathan CARPENTER, Solomon CURTIS, Lyman IVES and Ephraim FITCH. Solomon CURTIS received the appointment of deacon.

    The Congregational church at Sherburne was the only earlier organization of the kind in Chenango county.

    The Associated Presbyterian Society was formed in the first Academy building on Washington Square. Its pastor, the Rev. Mr. CAMP, withdrew after a ministry of three years, after which for six years there was no regular preaching. In October, 1807, The President, a village journal, announced, "The Trustees of the Associated Presbyterian Society, Uri TRACY, Stephen O. RUNYAN, and Amos A. FRANKLIN, notwithstanding the rumors of war, and the excommunication of the emperor, will receive subscriptions to the new church, without further delay." Early in 1808 the society which had been partially dissolved, again united and in June of that year installed the Rev. Eli HYDE as pastor by means of a ministerial council assembled for that purpose. He preached for four years until the people were no longer able to give him an adequate support and was then dismissed in the year 1812.

    Up to this time twenty-two persons had united with the church, and their names constitute the earliest roll of members now extant. The list is as follows: James MITCHEL, Agnes MITCHEL, Eber SCOFIELD, Solomon CURTIS, Sarah CURTIS, Moses BENNETT, Mary BENNETT, Lucy SMITH, Hannah CARY, Keziah BALCOM, Massy BROOKS, SARAH HOLMES, Hannah NOBLE, Moses KEYES, Margaret KEYES, Abigail STEPHENS, David TRACY, Mary TRACY, Eleazur SMITH, Isaac FOOTE, Anna FOOTE, Rachel MORRIS. The following minutes are on the church books, November 29, 1810: "The church after having looked to God for special direction in the choice of a deacon proceded and made choice of Amos A. FRANKLIN to the office." At a meeting after lecture January 13, 1811, "Brother Franklin publicly consecrated to the office by prayer." For twelve years or more from the time of its organization the congregation assembled at the Academy and then worshiped at the home of Deacon Franklin, which stood probably on the site now occupied by the residence of Dr. J. W. THORP.

    Although without a minister the new church held its stated meetings each week, at which services were conducted by Deacons GILE and and Franklin. As the congregation became too large for his house he prepared the upper story of his cabinet shop as a place of worship, and instituted a flourishing Sunday school, of which he was for many years superintendent. The building has since been converted into a dwelling and is now the house of George A. MALLORY. Ministers were secured whenever one could be found and of whatever denomination to supply the church on each Sunday. The Society was reorganized in January, 1818. This act became necessary owing to some irregularity in the matter of electing trustees which had the effect of dissolving the Society, according to law. Three trustees were now elected, namely: Solomon BUNDY, William GILE and Amos A. FRANKLIN. There was a decided renewal of religious interest among the members in 1821, through the earnest efforts of Rev. Marcus HARRISON, who ministered to them for several Sabbaths and instituted a revival. Its results were so encouraging, many being converted, that a general desire was expressed for the erection of a new sanctuary. This idea received the approval of their fellow citizens, the work was begun the following year with many misgivings and involving great sacrifices. Through the generosity of Mr. Ira WILLCOX, a most energetic business man, ground for a fine site was furnished; enough money was collected to erect the frame and cover it on both sides. At this point, as the funds subscribed had been expended and the minister who was such a help in the undertaking having gone, nothing further could be done.

    During the fall of the same year, 1822, Rev. Joseph D. WICKHAM came by chance to Oxford and was invited by Deacon Franklin to preach on Sunday. He preached three sermons in the deacon's cabinet shop, which was well filled with listeners who were much pleased and asked him to settle here. The invitation was accepted and he entered upon the pastorate in January, 1823. His presence excited a fresh interest in the new church, and another subscription was circulated with success. Mr. Willcox lent valuable aid in directing the workmen, and on the last day of July the edifice was dedicated to divine worship, Rev. Edward ANDREWS preaching the sermon from the text: "And I saw no temple therein; for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it."

    The Oxford Gazette of August 6, 1823, contains the following account of the dedication:

    The new Presbyterian Church in this village, was dedicated to the service of Almighty God on Thursday last. An eloquent & appropriate discourse, from Revelation xxi, 22, was delivered on the occasion, by the Rev. Edwards Andrews, of Norwich.

    After the dedication, the Rev. Joseph D. Wickham was ordained to the work of the ministry. The prayer introductory to the solemuities of ordination, was offered by Rev. Charles AVERY, of Columbus; and the consecrating prayer by the Rev. Lyman S. REXFORD, of Sherburne. The Rev. Asa DONALDSON, of Guilford, delivered the charge; and the Rev. John B. HOYT, of Greene, gave the right hand of fellowship, and offered the concluding prayer.

    The occasion drew together a large concourse of people from this and the neighboring towns, who appeared much gratified at the services of the day. The choir of singers, under the direction of Mr. William J. EDSON, by the style of their performance, reflected much credit upon the talents and abilities of their instructor.

    We cannot refrain from noticing, at this time, the merits of Mr. M'GEORGE, the Architect. This Church, the second with which he has beautified our village, and the fourteenth built under his direction, we feel assured, for taste in design and neatness in execution, is not surpassed by any in the western part of New York.

    The expense of construction has been about $4,000. Many changes were made in its interior in the year 1857; modern slips took the place of the old-fashioned box shaped pews, and new carpets were provided. Again in 1873 $10,000 were subscribed for making thorough modern improvements, that year being the semi-centennial of the existence of the building. The body of the church was wholly transformed; its bare walls were decorated with rich frescoes and delicate carved work, and the floors covered with bright new carpets, a large and imposing organ was procured and six memorial windows, presented by friends, recall the revered memories and noble examples of those whose good works will still remain after them. One in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Ira WILLCOX, bearing as emblems a cross and calla lily entwined, and a cross with anchor and chain. The next adjoining is for Mrs. Sarah CHAPMAN, and one for her son Mr. N. C. Chapman, was presented by the heirs of the latter in St. Louis. The first has figures of a crown and a bread fruit tree with sheaves of wheat above; the other of a chalice, cross and crown. Another bears the names of Mr. and Mrs. Epaphras MILLER and their son, B. S. Miller, from the heirs of the former, with representations of sheaves of wheat and the Christian armor, helmet, sword and shield. There is also a window in memory of Mrs. Julia VANDERBURGH, from her husband, Judge C. E. Vanderburgh of Minnesota, with designs of a harp and cross wreathed in flowers, the whole surmounted by the figure of a white dove with outspread wings. Another is the gift of Mrs. Caroline BALDWIN of Minnesota, for her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William MYGATT and their daughter Emily, having for emblems a chalice and sheaf of wheat surmounted by a crown. The rededication occurred May 6, 1874, when the sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. J. P. GULLIVER, then of Binghamton, followed by an historical sketch by Rev. H. P. COLLIN, the pastor, with addresses by Revs. Samuel SCOVILLE and J. C. WARD.

    A parsonage was purchased in 1866 at a cost of $3,100. In 1887 a Memorial chapel was erected at a cost, with the lot, of upwards of $3,100, and dedicated February 1, 1888. It was erected by Mrs. Henry L. Miller to the memory of her husband and presented to the church and society. The chapel is built in the Queen Anne style, the area of the building, 30x50 feet, standing on a high basement of beautiful rock-faced blue stone. A handsome cupola corresponding to the general style of the building adorns the roof, which is finished with ornamental work, the gables and sides being shingled to the line of the cornice. The interior of the rooms and vestibule is wainscoted in the old English style, and stained to imitate old cherry, neatly finished in hard oil. It is lighted by Cathedral windows upon either side, each one of a different colored design. A beautiful memorial tablet in marble and brass adorns the wall near the main entrance.

    At the time of the rededication in 1874, when fifty years had passed, three persons were members of the church who had been on the list for half a century: Mrs. Melinda JUDSON, Mrs. Mary WALKER and Mrs. Lucia SYMONDS. The Hon. Solomon BUNDY was the first child baptized in the first church.

    On October 4 and 5, 1899, the Society celebrated its 100th anniversary, the opening remarks were made by Rev. Ward T. SUTHERLAND, pastor, followed by prayer by Rev. Dr. B. F. BRADFORD of Upper Mont Clair, N. J. Addresses were made by Rev. J. W. KEELER of Greene, Rev. Henry P. COLLIN of Coldwater, Mich.; Hon. Wm. A. SUTHERLAND of Rochester; Rev. Inman WILLCOX of Worcester, Mass.; Rev. Chas. N. THORP of Oswego; Rev. James CHAMBERS, D. D. of New York; Rev. Charles JANES and Rev. Ethan CURTIS of Syracuse. A history of the Sunday school was given by Mrs. W. T. Sutherland; John E. MILLER gave the history of the church, and Mrs. R. YALE of Norwich, a great granddaughter of the founder, Rev. John CAMP, supplied some interesting information in regard to him.

    At a special term of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, held in Binghamton, May 3, 1904, Hon. Gerrit A. FORBES, Justice, granted a decree whereby "The Associated Presbyterian Society in Oxford" was changed to "The First Congregational Church and Society of Oxford."

    In November, 1906, there was placed on the east and west walls of the interior of the church two bronze tablets, one in memory of Ebenezer Huntington COVILLE and his wife, Thankful Cook HOTCHKISS, and another in memory of Joseph Addison Coville and his wife, Lydia S. MORE. The memorial were placed there by Dr. Luzerne Coville of Ithaca, and Frederick V. Coville of Washington, grandchildren and children respectively. The tablets are artistic and oblong in shape. The inscriptions on the tablets read as follows:

Ebenezer Huntington Coville
1784 ---- 1838
Thankful Cook Hotchkiss
1786 ---- 1884
Natives of Burlington, Conn., and Settlers
of Preston, N. Y., 1809. Tithemen and
Covenanters of this Church at its
Establishment. She was a member of
this Church and Presbytery.


Joseph Addison Coville
1820 ---- 1895
Lydia S. More
1828 ---- 1904
He was a native of Preston, N. Y. Later
a Resident of Oxford and Trustee of this
Church. She was a Native of Roxbury,
N. Y., and a Member of this Church and

    The succession of the ministers is as follows: Revs. John CAMP, 1799; Eli HYDE, 1808; Edward ANDREWS, 1818; Marcus HARRISON, 1822; J. D. WICKHAM, D. D., 1823, died May 12, 1891, in his 95th year; Elijah D. WELLS, 1826; Charles GILBERT, 1829; James ABELL, 1830; George W. BASSETT, 1837; Arthur BURTIS, D. D., 1839; William H. RICHARDS, 1846; Charles JEROME, 1847; Henry CALLAHAN, 1850; Elliott H. PAYSON, 1862; Charles F. JANES, 1870; Henry P. COLLIN, 1873; Henry N. PAYNE, 1879; B. F. BRADFORD, D. D., 1881; Howard BILLMAN, 1889; W. T. SUTHERLAND, 1893; Theodore W. HARRIS, 1903, present pastor.


    REUBEN BANCROFT was a good physician, a man of genius and very eccentric in his ways. He was a cousin of George Bancroft, the historian, a native of Connecticut, and educated at Litchfield, where he received his diploma from the Connecticut Medical Society in February, 1816. He soon after came to Oxford and commenced practicing with no advantage of friends and fortune, but with a heart bent upon success. His ruling ambition was to excel in the profession of his choice; to this the entire energies of his life were devoted, and in it he succeeded to an eminent degree. His residence was on the site of the house now owned by Frank T. CORBIN on Clinton street. He always kept a fine horse, but was seldom seen occupying the saddle, and when in the greatest hurry went on foot leading the animal. He died at Oxford January 21, 1847, aged 52.


    MUNSON SMITH, a prominent farmer in the eastern part of the town, was born March 4, 1819, and died August 3, 1893. He married April 7, 1841, Lauraette DODGE, born June 30, 1819; died July 15, 1901. Children: HARRIET, married Joseph SPOHN; THEODORE, married Kittie DOTY; ADA, married Charles M. STONE.

Lay hold of life with both hands, whenever
thou mayest seize it, it is interesting. --- GOETHE.



    Charles Eccleston, born September 13, 1795, in Preston, N. Y.; died December 26, 1873, in Oxford; married December 24, 1824, Mary LEWIS, born November 18,1804, in Preston; died January 27, 1883, at the residence of her daughter, Harriet, in Bainbridge, N. Y.     Mr. Eccleston and family came to Oxford in 1850. On the night of September 18, 1851, the Oxford House, which he had but recently purchased and moved into, together with the barns and out buildings, and the barn of Major J. V. N. LOCKE, were entirely consumed by fire. The house occupied the site of Dr. C. H. Eccleston's residence, and was for many years kept by David BRIGHAM, a prominent hotel man of that day. The fire originated in the barn, which was entirely enveloped in flames when discovered. A large potion of the furniture was saved from the hotel. It was only by the extraordinary exertions of firemen and citizens, and the providential fact that the night was perfectly tranquil, that the adjoining houses of Messrs. T G. NEWKIRK and J. V. N. LOCKE were saved. Had either been burned a large portion of one of our most beautiful streets must inevitably have been swept away. The hotel property was insured for $1,000.

    Children of Charles and Mary (LEWIS) Eccleton, all born in Preston:

    CHARLES H., born May 28, 1826; married January 22, 1851, Amanda N. FOOTE of Franklin, N. Y. Children: Charles, G., married Minnie COOK of Oxford; Edson F., married Clara B. HOMER of Elmira; Maria, married Dr. Geo. D. JOHNSON of Oxford; Mary McC., and Walter L.

    HARRIET C., born June 4, 1828; married June 2, 1847, Leroy L. ECCLESTON, born at Preston, N. Y., September 22, 1824; died January 4, 1902, in Bainbridge. For many years they were residents of Oxford. Children: Erwin D, Freeman W., and William A.

    DAVID L., born December 27, 1829; died March 20, 1849, in Preston.

    NOYES B., born September 8, 1833; married September 8, 1858, Mary E. WILLSON of Chenango Forks, N. Y. He was educated at Oxford Academy, and for a number of years was engaged in the jewelry business, though a greater portion of his life has been devoted to the drug business. For a short time he represented a wholesale house on the road. Mr. Eccleston is now doing a flourishing business at the Central Drug Store, Oxford.


    Dr. C. H. Eccleston lived on a farm in Preston with his parents until 1845, when he entered Oxford Academy and the following year Norwich Academy. In 1847 he began the study of dentistry in the office of Dr. E. H. PARMLEE in Norwich, having previously clerked in a jewelry store, and become quite adept at engraving on wood and cooper plate. The wood cut above is a specimen of his early handiwork, and represents the old Root block (now Corner store) in which was located his first dental office, and a portion of the old wooden bridge that spanned the canal close by. In May, 1848, Dr. Eccleston began practice in Corning, N. Y., but shortly thereafter removed to Utica, where he practiced a short time and then came to Oxford in 1849. Here he practiced his profession and in spare hours made moulds for and manufactured teeth. Later he took a course of instruction under Dr. N. W. KINGSLEY in carving and making block or sectional teeth and in 1860 organized the Union Tooth company for the manufacture of artificial teeth, which was a successful venture, the teeth being sold to dentists throughout the United States and in many foreign lands. Of an inventive mind he perfected and patented many articles in use in his business. In 1901 Dr. and Mrs. Eccleston happily celebrated their golden wedding, at which numerous relatives and friends were present.


    The following is copied from the town records and explains itself:

    Strays 1797. Received Personal Information of James PHELPS, that he has now in his possession a red brindle Ox, he supposes straid from the owner, about four or five Years of age last spring, no artificial mark; his right horn appears to have been broken, and now grown out a new about four inches long a much larger Size than the other.

Sign'd Elihu MURRAY, Clk.

October 25th, 1797.


    LAMBERT INGERSOLL, whose father, Oliver Ingersoll, came from Great Barrington, Mass., about 1802, and settled in Guilford, located on the east line of Oxford, and afterwards removed into the village, where he died September 16, 1849, aged 67. Polly, his wife, died March 16, 1867, aged 76.

Where, though the long-drawn aisle and fretted vault,
The pealing anthem swells the note of praise. --- GRAY.

St. Paul's Church.


    The occasional erection of structures to religion and science, mark eras in our village history frought (sic) with peculiar local interest; such events scattered along the track of years give pleasing assurance of internal improvement in those matters which most nearly concern our hearts and homes. They furnish occasion too, for grateful recollection of those early pioneers who, as soon as they had surrounded themselves with the necessities of life, set about the work of laying deep and firm the foundation of religion, virtue and intelligence.

    The first meeting of the friends of Episcopacy was held at the house of Abijah LOBDELL, Jr., May 23, 1814, for the purpose of forming a church under the statue, to be called St. Paul's church, Oxford. Captain Frederick HOPKINS and Captain John BACKUS were the first elected wardens; Ebenezer HULL, William M. PRICE, John SPOOR, John CHURCH, Peter BURGHARDT, General Ransom RATHBONE, Chauncey MORGAN and Abijah LOBDELL, Jr., were elected vestrymen of the new parish. Rev. William B. LACY then officiated during one half the year in the Academy, as would appear from a resolution of thanks January 8, 1815, to General Rathbone "for his spirited exertions in preparing and ornamenting the Academy for Christmas day."

    It is said that on that occasion it was profusely decorated with evergreens, and a tallow dip was in front of every seven by nine pane of glass. A choir was formed led by Captain FARNHAM, Austin HYDE and General Rathbone, as first, second and third choiristers, respectively.

 "Oh, I need not a wing;-bid no genii come
With a wonderful web from Arabian loom,
 To bear me again up the river of Time,
 * * * * 
For a sprig of green caraway carries me there,
To the old village church and the old village choir,
Where clear of the floor my feet slowly swung
 And timed the sweet pulse of the praise that they sung,
 Till the glory aslant from the afternoon sun
 Seemed the rafters of gold in God's temple begun!" 

    Efforts were early made to procure a suitable place of worship. Henry VanDerLyn interested himself in the circulation of a subscription for this purpose, and on February 23, 1815, the amount subscribed having reached $1,995, a contract was executed with SMITH & McGEORGE to build an edifice, forty by fifty feet, for $2,250. The first inducement at that early day to build so large a church came from a course that many would object to in these times. A gentleman residing in New York city drew $10,000 in a lottery, and shortly after moved to Oxford and gave $1,000 toward the building fund. The church was consecrated September 8, 1816, by Bishop Hobart, and stood for nearly half a century. The first site selected was what is now the part on Fort Hill square, upon lands conveyed by the village trustees. The location seemed more controlled by necessity and a regard to economy than by any sense of beauty or taste. By this location the vestry came into collision with Platt BRUSH of New York city, who owned a lot in the rear of the church, and who claimed that although their intentions were otherwise very pious, they had no right to shut him out from the common. The matter was, however, amicably adjusted. This position exposed the building and those who worshipped there to various annoyances, and it was removed in 1842 to a lot adjacent to the Academy. The building was taken in 1864 to Chenango Forks and is still used for a church edifice. This apparently was the first church edifice erected in the village. A bell was purchased in 1818, which was then the only one in the county. The first rector, Rev. Wm. B. LACEY, was a good sized man though not tall. His coattails nearly reached the ground, and a white handkerchief hung by one corner from the pocket, pinned in no doubt, presenting a comical appearance.

    In 1855 and '56 the building of the present church edifice engaged the attention of the parish, and $10,000 was subscribed towards that object. Its construction was commenced in 1856 and was finished in 1857, at a cost of $13,387, and consecrated October 14, 1857, by Bishop COXE.

    The chapel was begun in 1859, and completed and paid for in 1860. In 1861 the iron fence around the church was built at a cost of $1,505. In 1873, $4,000 was subscribed for the purpose of adding a stone porch and bell tower to the church. In 1870 a new organ was purchased at a cost of $3,200. In 1877 the interior of the church was richly decorated, newly carpeted, and a new bell hung, at a cost of about $2,000.

    The first communion was held December 18, 1815, at which time there were seven communicants: Samuel ROSS and wife, Margaret Ross, Catherine RATHBONE, Ebenezer HULL, Lucinda BACKUS, Ursula PERKINS, Susan TRACY.

    Of the partakers of the first communion ever held in St. Paul's church, the following were those who were at the seventh on December 8, 1816: Uri TRACY, Ruth Tracy, Frederick HOPKINS, Asenath SPOOR, Patty (CHURCH) DAILY, Flora JACKSON.

    The following has been the successive rectors of this parish: Revs. William B. LACEY, D. D. , 1814-18; Leverett BUSH, D. D., 1818-42; Thomas TOWELL, 1822-44; T. R. CHIPMAN, 1842-44; Benj. W. STONE, D. D., 1845-50; S. son (sic) COXE, 1850-53; Mannsell VanRENSSELAER, 1853-54; S. Hanson COXE, 1854-57; D. H. MACURDY, 1857-65; Walter AYRAULT, D. D., 1865-75; Robert M. DUFF, D. D., 1875-79; J. M. C. FULTON, 1879; Edwin M. COLLOQUE, 1881; Charles DuBois BROUGHTON, 1901, the present rector.

    The glass chandeliers in the church possess a historic interest. These, with one other destroyed by fire in the burning of the Episcopal church at Scarsdale, N .Y., in April, 1882, were sent from England before the Revolutionary war to the corporation of Trinity church in New York city, and were long in use in St. George's chapel, Beekman street, having been once in the meanwhile safely removed from the burning building, which was afterwards rebuilt. In 1868, when the demands of business finally rendered its removal necessary, the daughters of Gerrit H. VAN WAGENEN, for many years a warden of the parish, made application for the chandeliers, which was granted, and St. Paul's church received them in the same year. About 1879, the missing pieces, and those broken in transportation, were replaced at a cost of over $200, from which can be judged the considerable value of the property destroyed. On September 12, 1882, while the largest of the five chandeliers were being cleaned, the rod supporting it became loosened from the ceiling and it fell with a crash, being totally wrecked.

    A story is told of the first visit to Oxford of Bishop WALKER, after he became Bishop of Western New York. He prefaced his sermon by saying, that he felt at home as soon as he entered the church, for what did he behold but the same crystal chandeliers he had watched for years in old St. George's, during this boyhood, with the exciting anticipation, and, he must confess, wish, that some of those pendants might fall on the heads of the grave and reverend worshippers. He paid more attention to the chandeliers than to the sermon in those days.

    In the spring of 1891, $2,400 was laid out in repairs and repointing the stone work and rebuilding the top of the square bell tower. Beautiful memorials of friends departed have been placed in the church. New windows in the body of the edifice with redecorated sidewalls and brass prayer desks, for members of the family of Mr. F. G. CLARKE. A brass angel-lectern to the memory of Mrs. Julia Clapp NEWBERRY, accompanied by a solid silver communion service, gold lined. An altar-rail with brass standards to the memory of William and Ursula (GLOVER) Van WAGENEN. A costly and artistic brass pulpit "To the memory of Wilhelmina Maria, Sarah BRINCKERHOFF, and Catherine, daughters of Gerrit H. Van Wagenen." An electrolier in memory of Mrs. Catherine O. PACKARD, and a brass Litany desk to the memory of Mrs. Sarah Eliza (MYGATT) SANDS.

    In 1893 James CLAPP, who died while traveling in Egypt, bequeathed $2,000 for the use of the church and $1,000 for the stained glass window which was placed in the chancel in April, 1895. The design represents St. Paul on Mars Hill, and is wrought in fabrile glass in colors soft and rich. The central figure is St. Paul, but the others are imaginary characters. The portion of a building represented is a part of the Acropolis, Athens. At the base of the window is a brass plate with the following inscription:

To the Glory of God
and in Memory of the

This was a way to thrive, and he was blest. --- SHAKESPEARE.



    Bernard Farrell, who lived for thirty-four years in the town of Oxford, died at his home in South Oxford, February 11, 1890, at the advanced age of 97 years.

    Mr. Farrell was born in County Longford, Ireland, in the year 1793, and came to America in 1842, on a sailing vessel, which was thirteen weeks making the passage. A few months later he came to Chenango county and located in the town of Smithville, near Tyner, then called "Sod."

    Of an agricultural turn of mind, which pursuit he followed through life, he had no difficulty in finding plenty of work, and being thrifty, was enabled about the year 1845 to send to Ireland for his wife and four children to join him in this country. They lived in Smithville and Preston until 1866, and then came into this town to spend the remainder of their days. Mary McCORMACK, wife of Mr. Farrell, was born in County Leitrim, Ireland, in 1806, and died at her home in South Oxford, November 13, 1886, aged 80 years. To them were born eight children, two died in childhood in Ireland. Their eldest son, EDMUND, was killed on the railroad at South Oxford, April 11, 1873, aged 43 years. RICHARD, died in New York city, May 6, 1891, aged 55. For a number of years in the commission business. His wife, Mary KENNEDY of New Brunswick, N. J., died in New York city, April 5, 1904, aged 63. (Children: Edmund, William, Frank, John, died in 1902, Mary, Annie Loretta.) BRIDGET, died in Oxford, November 23, 1904, aged 68. Married Thomas H. DONNELLY of Choconut, Penn. (Children: The first child died in infancy; Augustus, resides in Chicago, unmarried; Frank E., married Jean LEE of Wilkesbarre, Penn., where he resides; Mary Agnes, married John L. LILLIS of Oxford; Isabel, married Lewis A. FOOTE of Scranton, where she resides; Richard J., married Catherine P. CROWLEY of New Haven, Conn., and is a resident of that city.) BERNARD, JOHN and PETER A., all unmarried, reside on the homestead at South Oxford. The latter went to New York in April, 1873, and after working a few years for his brother Richard, entered into partnership with him in the commission business, which lasted for several years. Later he conducted the business alone and after a while disposed of it and returned to Oxford.


    From the Oxford Gazette, May 22, 1822: A footman, a few days since traveling from this village, and a few miles from it, came in contact with several young cattle in the public road, and not having a very conscientious idea of meum et tuum, took them into his possession, drove them directly past the house of their owner and sold them at a short distance farther on, put the money in his pocket and escaped.


    Severe Hail Storm.-May 18, 1822, a severe hail storm visited this village. Considerable damage was done, though the duration of the storm did not exceed two minutes. More than 2000 panes of glass were destroyed. Some of the hail stones measured three inches in circumference.

I know the dancin's nonsense; but if you stick at every-
thing because it's nonsense, you wonna go far I' this life.

Chenango Canal Ball.


    On the 7th of March, 1833, a ball was held in Oxford to celebrate the passage of the canal bill. The assembly room was on the third floor of the hotel now known as the Hotchkiss House, the only public hall the village then had. The hour appointed for the festivities to begin was at five in the afternoon, whether this was on account of the smallness of the room and that all might have a chance

"To brisk notes in cadence beating,
Glance their many twinkling feet,"

in honor of the great undertaking, or that the beaux and bells retired in good season the writer knoweth not. The invitation reads as follows:

Like leaves on trees the race of man is found. ---
Now green in youth, now withered on the ground;
Another race the following spring supplies;
They fall successive; and successive rise. --- HOMER.



    Thomas Gibson was born at "Westmoreland," St. James Parish, Barbados, W. I., in 1784; died December 4, 1868, in Oxford. Married Sarah E. SWAN, born in 1788; died October 31, 1840, in Oxford.

    Thomas Gibson and a friend, Richard FARMER, came to Oxford in 1821, and purchased adjoining farms in South Oxford, the latter remained here but a few years, selling his farm and returning to the West Indies, from where he came. Mr. Gibson sold his farm to Benjamin WELCH and in 1834 moved into the village to the house on Washington Square now occupied by Dr. Charles E. THOMPSON.

    SUSAN, married George FARNHAM, died in 1826.
    ROWLAND THOMAS, died in 1832, unmarried.
    SAMUEL SWAN, married Maria MARSH, died in 1851.
    JOHN WILLIAM, died in 1857, unmarried.
    JOSEPH, died in 1837, unmarried.
    FRANCIS MILLER, died in 1844, unmarried.
    MARY ELIZABETH, married Warren Delano SMITH, who died in 1859. Had three children one only surviving. Frances M., who resides with her mother at Chappaqua, New York.

Pictures must not be too picturesque. --- EMERSON.

River Bridge and Fort Hill in 1840.


    In the year 1840 two gentlemen. John W. BARBER and Henry HOWE, authors of various historical works, gathered the materials and compiled a volume pertaining to the early history of the State of New York. This book embraced the more prominent and interesting events connected with the county histories, and illustrated with some 230 engravings.

    Among these we find a view, which we reproduce, representing the central part of the village of Oxford. This picture was obtained from a position on the west bank of the Chenango canal not far above Dr. R. E. MILLER's residence, in the fall of 1840, and presents an excellent outline of the principal public buildings of our village at that early date. At the left stands the Congregational church a sacred place in the heart of old timers. Next is the mammoth barn of the Fort Hill House. The Academy with cupola, appearing between the large barn and the Fort Hill buildings, was built in 1830-31 on a site next to the Baptist parsonage. Beyond the brick block, on the site of the old Fort, may be seen the Baptist church with its tall spire; the lower spire at the left belonged to the old Episcopal church, which stood east of the Academy building. The river bridge, then of much greater length than the iron bridge, was built in 1823, the fourth in the order of their erection. The Fort Hill House with the block of stores extending down to the bridge, having just been burned enables us to see across Fort Hill to the old Academy. The grounds about the site of the Indian fort, with its traditions and relics of arrow heads, hatchets, bones and pottery, have always been objects of the greatest interest to our inhabitants. The Chenango canal had been running but a few years, and a clever picture of the packet, driver and team add much to the finish of our cut.


    DANIEL SHUMWAY, a native of Oxford, Mass., came to this village in 1806, where he resided twenty-seven years. He was the first hatter in Oxford, and sold "Castor, Rorum and Water proof Hats of Superior quality." His factory was opposite the VanDerLyn house. In 1833 he went to Steuben county with many others form Chenango county to engage in lumbering, and died at Beecher's Island, Penn., May 10, 1848, aged 68. He was universally esteemed for his integrity, kindness of heart and public spirit. A son, Daniel H. Shumway, M. D., died January 2, 1861, in Berlin, Wis., aged 43 years.

With mug in hand to wet his whistle.



    Levi Breed, an eccenric colored character, was well known up and down the valley, and often made his home in this village. His parents were slaves in Connecticut and removed to Norwich with Deacon Elias Breed about the year 1808. Levi received a good common school education, and at "spelling bees" it was not uncommon for him to "spell down" the boys and girls. In later life he was dubbed "Counsellor," having picked up a smattering of law from text books loaned him. At a colored celebration in Binghamton, July 6, 1857, he delivered an address, which was published and favorably noticed by the press. The last years of his life he traveled, often a foot, between Oxford and Norwich, gathering rags, and carrying messages from one town to the other. He died at Norwich in the fall of 1873, aged 65. As early as 1835 he lived at the foot of "Button" lane in this village. Among his children were a daughter, Sarah Maria REYNOLDS, who became a missionary teacher and died August 18, 1855, in Liberia, Africa, while yet in young womanhood; and a son, Robert, who in his early youth attended the district school on State street, and was known as Bobby Breed. A Mr. TRIP was the teacher, who had three modes of punishment for unruly scholars: the ferule, a turkey quill with which to snap the ears of his pupils, and a piece of leather suspended from the ceiling. The latter was called "chewing the cud." Pupils could have their choice of punishment, and Bobby Breed was the only one who chewed the "cud," standing on tip toe to reach the leather with his mouth, and chewing until the master released him from his uncomfortable position.

His heart as far from fraud as heaven from earth.



    Charles B. Haynes was born July 18, 1793, in Princeton, Mass., and came to Oxford in 1834, where he died August 6, 1879. He married November 18, 1821, Sarah MEAD, who was born October 23, 1797, in Rutland, Mass., and died March 28, 1867, in Oxford.

    Mr. Haynes, on his arrival in Oxford with his family, purchased a farm at Haynes, which, after occupying for a number of years, he sold to his son Edwin, and moved into the village. Here he remained but a short time, not being satisfied with village life, and then bought a farm on the east side of the river at South Oxford, near the Greene town line. Five of his children were born in Massachusetts, and two in this town.

    CHARLES CHAUNCEY, married Harriet M. GRANT of Cambridge, Mass.; died June 8, 1896, in Binghamton.

    WILLIAM, married Ursula TURNER of Preston, and moved to Steamboat Rock, Iowa. Died in November, 1906.

    EDWIN M., married Rhoby U. KEACH of Preston; died suddenly May 24, 1888, while on a business trip to Philadelphia, Pa.

    SARAH E., married March 26, 1856, Stephen A. SHELDON of Oxford; died March 14, 1901, in Oxford.

    ESTHER A., married Lemuel BOLLES, and moved to Binghamton, now resides in Oxford.

    ALMIRA, married Robert T. DAVIDSON of Oxford.

    MARY E., married George E. STEVENS; died October 22, 1874; at Fort Wayne, Ind.

Character is a diamond that scratches every other stone.

MEAD Family.


    Gideon Mead came from Port Chester, Conn., in 1804, bringing with him his wife and three children: Sarah Maria, six years of age, and twin boys, Andrew and Sylvanus, four years younger. They stopped with Andrew MILLER, who kept a tavern at South Oxford, and stayed until he could clear a place large enough to build a house. He then moved upon the land he had purchased, reared a family of eight children, one daughter and seven sons, and died October 28, 1851, aged 80 years. Mr. Mead was buried on the homestead. Children:

    SARAH MARIA, married William BANKS of Bainbridge. Children: James, Samuel, Mary, John, Charles.

    ANDREW, married Lydia Ann DICKINSON, died November 14, 1851, aged 49. Children: Whitman, died in infancy; Mary; Sarah, married Joseph J. HULL of Oxford.

    SYLVANUS, married Lucretia BARTOO, died while on a visit to his son Philo at McPherson, Kan., August 12, 1882, aged 80. His accuracy in repeating scripture was truly wonderful. It is told that, being wakeful in the night, he repeated the whole book of James, the 119th Psalm, and the 15th chapter of First Corinthians. Mr. Mead had two sons, Philo S., married Alverda MINOR, resides at McPherson, Kan.; William, married Adelia PADGETT, and died in 1906 at Guilford.

    JAMES, married Nancy COOLEY, and lived at Laurens, Otsego county. Children: William, Mary, Morris, Damon, Albert, Frances Augustus.

    WHITMAN, moved to Ohio and married Jane HANSON. Children: Charles, George, James, Helen, Stella.

    HENRY, married Sarah Maria WATERMAN, who died April 13, 1879; lived on a part of the old homestead. Died October 10, 1872. Children: Adelaide, died Feb. 5, 1901; Polly Ann, unmarried, Henry W., married Mary E. CONE; George P., unmarried, a prominent business man of Oxford.

    UNDERHILL, married (1) Eliza Ann TYLER, died January 18, 1853, aged 33; married (2) Catherine WATERMAN. Children by second wife: Eliza, Smith, Sackett H., Lackawanna station agent at Oxford, married Marion DAVIS; James, Merritt, Lottie.

    SACKETT, married Anna COLLINS; lived and died in Covington, Ky. Children: William W., Omer.


    Large flocks of pigeons.--- During the spring of 1822 innumerable flocks of pigeons filled the air in every direction. In the woods they occupied a space for nesting nearly ten miles in length and from two to five in width. Every tree and bush was literally covered with them and their nests. Hunters who spent but two or three hours in the woods returned with from one to two hundred pigeons. So thick were they that twenty or thirty were killed in a single shot. Five thousand were killed in one day.

Now spurs the lated traveler apace
To gain the timely inn. --- SHAKESPEARE.



    Andrew Miller, born February 15, 1743, in Connecticut, died April 11, 1812, in South Oxford. He married Sarah Lyon, daughter of Gilbert and Jane (KNIFFEN) LYON, born January 28, 1748, and died March 22, 1813, in South Oxford.

    Mr. Miller came to South Oxford about the year 1803, from Rye, N. Y., and settled on the north side of the brook at Coventry station, the farm on which he and his wife died and were buried. He kept a tavern for a number of years, at which settlers often remained until they could locate and erect a cabin for their families. The stone sign post in front of the tavern remained standing until the summer of 1905, when a runaway team collided with it and thus an old landmark was removed.

    In early times, when it took three days to hold an election the second day session was held at Miller's tavern in the afternoon. The polls were opened in the forenoon at Parks' tavern on the west side of the river, and at noon transferred to Miller's on the east side, the majority of the voters following the ballot box from one district to the other. Quoit pitching, wrestling, and kindred outdoor amusements were heartily entered into by men who came early in the day and remained until long after the polls were closed. The landlord did a thriving business and very few quarrels arose, owing to the purity of the liquor sold.

    Mr. Miller, who was something of a surgeon, was often called upon to perform operations for his neighbors, which usually terminated successfully. His children were:

    THOMAS, born November 3, 1768.

    SARAH, born May 25, 1771.

    MARY, born June 14, 1774; died October 12, 1832; married Gideon MEAD.

    ABIGAIL, born September 11, 1778; married Daniel WILSON.

    ANDREW, born January 8, 1782; died April 30, 1865; married Zeruah MOWRY, born October 14, 1782, died March 25, 1860. They lived, died, and were buried on the farm his father had cleared. Children: Inman L., born June 14, 1808, married Permelia SYMONDS; John G., born October 12, 1809, married Hannah RACE; Albert S., born April 7, 1811, married Laura RACE; Sarah, born July 31, 1813, married Harvey JACOBS; Uri T., born May 23, 1815, died unmarried; Andrew, born April 7, 1817, died unmarried; Thomas, born November 11, 1819, married Susan MAINE; Mary, born March 5, 1821, married William RACE; Daniel W., born February 9, 1823, died unmarried; James U. , born July 11, 1825, married Angeline SYMONDS.

    UNDERHILL, born July 14, 1788; died May 8, 1861; married Mary SYMONDS.


    Children of Inman L. and Permelia (SYMONDS) Miller:

    HENRY, born August 10, 1834; died September 26, 1905; married Emmogene LAMB. Lived and died on the same farm occupied by his father and grandfather. Children: Josephine, married Alvin WEBB; Robert, adopted son, married Sarah L. TAYLOR, of Madison, N. Y.,

    LAVINNA, born January 12, 1837; married Charles WILCOX.

    LUCIA, born September 17, 1839; married George L. McNEIL.

    GEORGE, born February 28, 1843; died January 27, 1898; married Amanda MILLER. Child: Ella May, married Joseph ROUNDS.

    JOHN, born May 2, 1846; died March 28, 1849.


    AMOS A. HITCHCOCK, known as "Gusta," came to this village in the year 1849, and with M. Augustus PERRY purchased of Thomas MORRIS the Stage House, now HOTCHKISS house. The partnership was dissolved in April, 1850, by Mr. Perry retiring. Mr. and Mrs. Hitchcock earned golden opinions as host and hostess of the Stage House, winning the respect of all by honesty and integrity of purpose and action. He died April 7, 1866, aged 57. Lucy L., his wife, born February 3, 1812, in Sherburne, N.Y., died January 15, 1889, in Wilkesbarre, Pa. She was a grandniece of President MONROE. They had one daughter, Mary M., who became the wife of Horace S. CHAMBERLAIN February 13, 1866. He died January 20, 1900, in Wilkesbarre, Pa.


    ROBERT BROOKSBANK was born at Market Weighton, Yorkshire, England, January 3, 1779. He came to Troy in 1804, and in 1816 moved to Oxford, and was one of the old residents of the east part of the town. He died January 11, 1856, aged 77. Barbara, his wife, was born in Troy, and died in Oxford, November 19, 1881, aged 100 years and five months. Descendants of theirs are still living in town.

Buried were all war-like weapons,
An the war-cry was forgotten;
Then was peace among the nations.

Independence Day, 1865.


    There was no public celebration of the national holiday in Oxford in 1865, but there was everywhere prevalent a spirit of quiet joy, which extended itself throughout all classes and ages. All business ceased and the day wore a holiday attire. The dark horizon of the previous four years had been illuminated with joyful light, and the very air seemed pervaded with a sense of peace. The day was delightful and everybody seemed to take to picnics. Indeed one might have supposed that the entire community regarded that the declaration of rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, ennuciated by the patriots of '76, was a little else than an assertion of the right and duty of universal picnicking. About nine o'clock in the morning two canal boats laden with the devotees of freedom in the open air, and such things as make such freedom enjoyable, moved off for Lake Warn, accompanied by the Oxford Band. After a fill of those things which make patriotic stomachs, the company proceeded to a platform under the trees, where Dr. J. W. THORP, then of the Academy faculty, clearly and forcibly read the Declaration of Independence, and Mr. L. R. BREWER, now Bishop Brewer, in an eloquent address, did justice to the day and its glorious memories.

    There were other picnics at the Halfway House, Ludlow pond, feeder dam; one on the East hill by the children, and one on the lawn at the residence of Thomas G. NEWKIRK, Clinton street.

    The Clinton street gathering was an extemporized neighborhood affair. A rope was strung from tree to tree in front of the house on which branches were suspended, hiding the company from the gaze of the street. National flags in profusion waved to the breeze, and a large banner floated over the entrance way. The table, reaching from end to end of the yard, was literally loaded with the finest viands that the Clinton street ladies could, and did, provide. The company, numbering fifty neighbors and invited guests, were seated for an hour, and heartily enjoyed the repast and sparkling wit. At the close Prof. D. G. BARBER, in a voice of deep eloquence, read the Declaration of Independence, and sentiments appropriate to the day and to the patriotic ladies of Clinton street were offered by Henry VANDERLYN, Esq., and others. The company with three cheers for "our country," separated and long held in memory the picnic of Independence Day, 1865.


    "AUNT" SALLY ANN SANNICKS, of African descent and born a slave, came to this town about the year 1819 from Dutchess county and was in service in the family of Gerardus VanDerLyn. She united with the Methodist church in 1820 and could recall the time when it included but two families. She was seldom absent from her place of worship and testified the reality of her profession by a bequest in her will, from her scanty estate, of $150 to the Methodist church of this village. By the income from the bequest a memorial window has been placed in the church in her memory. She died November 20, 1882, aged 88.

Nature in each allots his proper sphere.



    Horatio Haskell Cooke was s son of Deacon Philip Cooke, an early and respected resident of this town, whose farm was situated on Painted (Panther) Hill. He was a lineal descendant of Nicholas Cooke, the last Royal Governor of Rhode Island, and the first Governor of Rhode Island, and the first Governor of the State after the Revolution. He was also a direct descendant of Anna GREENE, a member of the well known Rhode Island family, of which Nathaniel Greene was the most distinguished member. Mr. Cooke was born at Columbus, N. Y., but nearly his whole life was spent in Oxford. When a young man he was connected with a newspaper published here, and later was engaged in the hardware business, his brother-in-law, David BROWN, being his partner. About 1854 he moved to Western New York, and was employed in the construction of the Great Western R. R. between Suspension Bridge and St. Catherines. After a few years he returned to Oxford, and was canal collector at this port for years, and also Justice of the Peace at different times for several terms. He was station agent for for the D., L & W. R. R. Co. from the time the road opened for fourteen years, until a few years before the time of his death, and resigned the position on account of ill health. He died suddenly January 21st, 1887. Mr. Cooke was closely connected with the history of Oxford for half a century, and was an honorable, upright, and much respected citizen. October 6, 1841, he was married to Elizabeth W. CORNISH, daughter of Whiting Cornish of Coventry. There were three children: Mary, Philip H., and Catharine. Mary died at the age of three years. Philip H. Cooke was one of the many Oxford boys who chose telegraphy as a profession, and for years has held official positions, first with the Western Union, and afterwards with the Postal Telegraph Co. He was married July 11th, 1871, to Emma J. COFFIN, at Montgomery, Ala. Catharine was married on September 9, 1880, to Delos M. AYLESWORTH of this place, who died June 26, 1883. She still resides in Oxford.


    CALEB P. THURBER, born October 3, 1795, in Cooperstown, came to Oxford from Delhi in 1824. At the latter place he was a member of the first fire company organized in that village in 1821, and outlived all the original members. He was a shoemaker by trade and followed that occupation for a long period of years in Oxford. Mr. Thurber was a remarkable man physically and retained his facilities until the last. His death occurred May 28, 1884. He married first Mary DESMOND of Delhi, who died in December, 1838, in Oxford. His second wife died November 6, 1893. Children by first wife: ANNE, married Aaron B. ABBOTT; JOHN, married Jane SMITH; MARY T., married, May 7, 1855, James STOWELL; ABNER, married Dorcas CHRISTMAN; ADELIA, married William T. MANDEVILLE.


    WILLIAM McCALPIN, an early resident of Oxford, was Associate Judge of the old Court of Common Pleas. He was also a member of the first jury ever summoned in Chenango county. The court was held in Oxford in July, 1798.

In the capacious urn of death, every name is shaken.



    George A. and Jane (TIER) Davidson came from New York City at an early day and located in Smithville. After remaining there a few years Mr. Davidson purchased a farm in this town on the east side of the river at South Oxford, which is still known as the Davidson farm. They were the parents of twelve children, eight of whom died in infancy. Those who grew to maturity were:

    GEORGE, who married Susan JACOBS; ANN, married Dr. R. P. CRANDALL of Greene; JACOB, married (1) Amellia McINTOSH, married (2) Nora McKINNEY; and ROBERT T.

    Mrs. Davidson died September 4, 1857. Mr. Davidson married a second wife in Greenwich, Conn., and some years later his death occurred at Vineland, N. J.

    Robert Tier Davidson, born May 4, 1834, in Oxford; died April 27, 1874, in Greene; married December 28, 1857, Almira HAYNES, daughter of Charles B. and Sarah (MEAD) Haynes of Oxford.

    Mr. Davidson, at the age of 19 years, bought out the bookstore of William E. CHAPMAN. After conducting the business for a few years years he found the returns for the money invested smaller than he had anticipated, and disposed of the stock, and returned to the homestead, buying the property at South Oxford some years later. Here he remained seven years, and then returned to the village. He was appointed canal collector in 1857, and from time to time held many important village offices, the duties of which were faithfully discharged. At the completion of the New York, Oswego & Midland railroad, now the Ontario & Western, to Oxford, he was appointed station agent, which position he held a number of years, giving entire satisfaction to the officers of the road and the traveling public in general. He then received the appointment of freight solicitor for the same company, holding the position up to the time of his death. A man of public spirit, he was prominent in promoting any object that would prove a benefit to the town or village. He was held in high esteem throughout the town and county, his ease and courtesy of manner winning for him the honor and esteem of all.

    Mr. Davidson's death was particularly sad and deeply felt alike by relatives and friends. He, with his wife, had gone to Greene to transact some business with his sister, the wife of Dr. R. P. CRANDALL, and was taken ill soon after reaching there. The disease, erysipelas of the head, rapidly developed and death resulted nine days after the attack. Children:

    JANE M., married Dr. Benjamin P. ANDREWS, and resides in Dansville, N. Y.

    CHARLES H., married Annie TREVVETT and resides at Utica, N. Y.


    WILLIAM HOLLENBECK, a German, came from the Hudson river country at an early day. He was called "Uncle Bill" by the neighbors, and was an industrious farmer. His children were: Stina, Jane, John, Mary Ann, Fitche, Louisa, Derrick, Malinda, Rachel, Silas and Susan.

Hard thinking opens naturally into strong doing.
--- F. G. PEABODY.



    James Aaron Glover, born April 24, 1793, in Plainfield, Conn., came to Oxford in 1802. He was one of six children of Nathan Glover, who settled in Plymouth the same year. Mr. Glover was first employed by Daniel DENISON, but later learned the trade of tool maker and blacksmith, in which he became exceptionally skillful. He conducted for many years the stone blacksmith shop which stood on the site of the present residence of Melvin WALKER, and it was there that David MAYDOLE, who made a world wide reputation with his hammers, and George R. LYON, founder of the Greene Iron Works, served their apprenticeship. Mr. Glover was for a long term of years a trustee of Oxford Academy, and prominently identified with the growth of the village. He married June 29, 1817, Ann BRADLEY of Oxford, a native of Connecticut, and in June, 1867, they celebrated their golden wedding. Mr. Glover died May 23, 1875. Mrs. Glover born July 8, 1792, died December 21, 1871. Children:

    URSULA A., born June 16, 1818; died May 24, 1887; married January 8, 1840, William VAN WAGENEN of Oxford.

    ANN VERNETTE, born January 31, 1820; died March 3, 1892; married Nov. 22, 1853, William D. KNAP of New Berlin.

    JAMES W.

    MARY E., born June 5, 1824; died June, 1887; unmarried.

    ELIZABETH W., born September 11, 1827; died November 30, 1902, in Binghamton; married August 15, 1850, John Ray CLARKE of Oxford.

    James W. Glover, born August 28, 1822, in Oxford, was educated at Oxford Academy and read law with Henry R. MYGATT. He was admitted to the bar in 1843, and practiced for over fifty years in his native place, with the exception of a few years spent in Auburn. He represented Oxford as Supervisor, and held the office of postmaster for several years. Mr. Glover married May 19, 1852, Sarah A. PERKINS, who died November 14, 1892, aged 68. Mr. Glover, who had been in failing health for a number of years, died November 22, 1896. Children:

    ERASTUS P., born February 22, 1854; died in infancy.

    JOHN R., married May 19, 1881, Lillian HENSTOCK of Montrose, Pa.


    NATHANIEL KELLOGG, a soldier and pensioner of the war of the Revolution, lived on a farm which was partly in the towns of Greene and Oxford. It was said his house of two rooms stood on the town line, one room in each town, and that he lived in the Oxford part. His farm was on the west side of the Chenango river, and in 1836 he sold it to Abram TenBROECK, and it eventually became a part of the estate of the late Wheaton LOOMIS, above Brisbin. Mr. Kellogg was born at Hadley, Mass., in 1758; enlisted July 1780 in Captain ALVORD's company in Colonel MURRAY's regiment. He died October 26, 1846, in Jasper, Steuben county.

The rising . . . of waters dark and deep.

FLOOD of 1865.


    The accumulated snow and ice of the winter of 1864-65, found vent in a most extensive and damaging flood. The warm weather of Tuesday, March 14, culminating on Thursday in a warn south wind, had raised the river to an alarming pitch before night. A little past midnight a slaughter house adjoining the Fort Hill mills, broke loose with a crash and floated off. The flood reached its height about daybreak Friday, and the morning light disclosed a scene of unequaled magnificence to one who could view it indifferently, and to the sufferers by flood one of anxiety and painful interest. From the present residence of Peter J. JACOBS across to the office of the late Wm. H. HYDE, Esq., and thence in a widening current through the grounds of St. Paul's church, rising within a few inches of the floor, across Merchants, Mechanic, and Greene streets, the water flowed onward to the main channel of the river. Within that circuit first floors were in numerous instances abandoned, the inmates betook themselves to chambers or the homes of their more fortunate neighbors, and cattle, horses, and pigs were removed to more safe quarters, while feathered bipeds held to their roost in sullen silence. Fences, firewood, hay, and the thousand and one necessary and carefully stored luxuries of careful housewives floated about in miscellaneous and strange admixtrue. Across the street leading direct from Fort Hill to St. Paul's church, the current was very rapid, rendering boating impracticable, lifting heavy flagging stones from their beds, and forcing dirt, rubbish and smaller stones in scattered heaps upon the opposite premises. The road was washed clear of dirt leaving its bed of stone uncovered, walks undermined, and houses in some instances left bare to their foundation stones. On Merchants street, from the corner below the Methodist church, to its termination near the Methodist parsonage, a ferry was in active use in charge of Charles FRASER, who vigorously and skillfully plied the oars, bringing and carrying the inhabitants of the flooded district, and boats were also constantly passing from each of said corners through the streets leading to them. On the west side of the river the damage was not as great, cellars in the business parts were early found to be unsafe, and valuable property generally removed. The river and canal above and below the residence of the late R. E. SPENCE joined currents, and also below Navy Island, and for once the derisive epithet "raging" applied to the State ditch, became a visible reality. On Albany street at the premises of the late David BARTLE, the steam forced its way across the road, went circling in rear of Washington Park to the main channel, filling cellars, making barns untenantable, and compelling the removal of their occupants. The freshet made a sorry looking wreck of the canal, filling in and tearing out, throwing down docks and causing numerous breaks on this level. The feeder dam at South Oxford was carried away.

    Early Friday evening, March 17, Jacob RHEINWALD, James McENENY, John S. WHITE, Patrick KEYES and Charles BRABAZON, started from the Tuttle block in a small boat for a pleasure trip over the flood to the east side of the river. They had reached the main channel a few rods above the river bridge, when the boat became unmanageable, resisting all efforts at control, and shot suddenly down the rushing waters under the bridge, when White managed to grab the bridge and save himself; Keyes held fast under the bridge and was drawn out through an opening made by the lifting of a plank. McEneny and Rheinwald, by laying flat, floated under, but Brabazon was precipitated into the rapids, passed over the dam in the seething, raging current, quickly followed by his comrades in the boat. By the vigorous efforts of those two and his own dexterous and cool management, he was rescued and drawn into the boat some distance down stream, although much exhausted and soaked by the icy water. It was a marvelous escape from a fearful adventure.


    WILLIAM BEARDSLEY was born in Shaftsbury, Vt., May 13, 1793. He went as a soldier from Vermont in the war of 1812, first by draft, afterwards by enlistment, and remained until the close of the war. He was in the naval engagement on Lake Champlain, between Commodore McDONOUGH and Commodore DOWNIE, and after the surrender went on board the vessel on which Commodore Downie was killed, saw the rigging all cut in pieces, and all the ghastly and harrowing sights consequent upon such combats. At the age of 23 he married Anna Maria CATLIN, a native of Canada. They came immediately to Oxford, where they resided for many years. They were the parents of twelve children. Mr. Beardsley died January 20, 1878, in Preston, aged 84.


    One of the physicians of the early days of Oxford was Dr. MEAD, of whom the youngsters used to sing his professional services in the following lines:

"Dr. Mead, he goes full speed,
      And rides on a gallop; 
He visits all, both great and small,
      And fills them up with jalap." 

Men drop so fast 'ere life's mid-stage we tread,
Few know so many friends alive, as dead.
--- YOUNG.



    Elisha Westover came about 1835 from Massachusetts and settled on a fifty acre farm east of the Leonard RICHMOND farm and near the Alvin INGRAHAM four corners, but soon transferred or sold the same to his son Calvin Westover. He then moved into Smithville upon a farm and lumber tract, where he died January 25, 1852, aged 75.

    Calvin Westover, son of Elisha born in 1806 at New Milford, Conn., came to Oxford between the years 1830 and 1835; died September 7, 1882, in Oxford; married (1) ---- HADSELL; married (2) Urania HOWLAND, born in 1810; died August 6, 1879. Children:

    EMELINE, married Orlando BEARDSLEY.
    ORLIN J., married Mary BRITTON.
    PHOEBE, unmarried, lives in California.
    ELMER, died April 11, 1851, aged 16.
    BURTON, married October 28, 1862, Amelia WEEKS of Oxford, resides in California.
    CLARISSA E., died April 27, 1859, aged 15 years.
    DIMICE, died December 20, 1860, aged 14.

    Calvin Westover, after a few years, bought the Hiram SNOW farm, now occupied by Francis HILL, on the four corners mentioned above, where he resided until about 1849, when he purchased the Nicholas ROGERS farm, now occupied by Henry H. HILL, where he resided until his death. He was for several years associated with his brother Ranslow in the oyster business. Afterwards he dealt in live stock, shipping to Binghamton by the Chenango canal.

    Orlin J. Westover, son of Calvin, born March 7, 1832, in Oxford; died September 11, 1865, in Andersonville prison, having been taken prisoner at Guntown, Tenn., June 11, 1865, while in the U. S. service during the Civil War. Mr. Westover went to Minnesota in 1853, and married in 1856 Mary M. BRITTON of Mankato, Minn., born March 17, 1835, died April 24, 1863, in Mankato. He enlisted August 15, 1862, under Capt. Dane in Co. E., 9th Minnesota Volunteers, and was stationed at Fort Ridgeley, on the Minnesota river, where he was engaged in fighting Indians at the outbreak of the Sioux tribe led by Chief Little Crow. He witnessed much hardship and suffering by the settlers, one instance in particular he related. While with a company, they came upon an emigrant party of two men, two women, and two small children. The men were dead, scalped, their hearts cut out and hung on the wagon stakes; one woman was dead, the other, an old lady, was shot in the back by an arrow, which nearly passed through her body. The children were unharmed. The old lady had been left for dead, but she regained consciousness and succeeded in extracting the shaft of the arrow, but the flint point remained in her body. She had taken the children and managed to crawl to the shade of a tree some distance from the wagon, where she was found by the cavalrymen unconscious, but death ended her suffering soon after. Mr. Westover's father-in-law, Mr. Britton, took two of his children and his grandsons, Maurice and Calvin Westover, to Fort Ridgeley, where they remained two months for protection from the Indians. He left his two eldest sons to take the women to the fort, where they arrived safely in a day or two. Soon after there was a severe Indian fight in that vicinity and thirty-eight of the tribe were captured, taken to Mankato, and executed in public on December 26, 1862. The refugees at the fort witnessed the execution, which ended the Indian outbreak.

    Children of Orlin J. and Mary (BRITTON) Westover:

    MAURICE N., married Clarissa BRADLELY, resides in Mesa Grande, Cal.

    CALVIN E., married Lina BENJAMIN of Preston, and resides at Herkimer, N. Y.

    A daughter died in infancy.

    Ozias Westover, son of Elisha, born in Sheffield, Mass.; died September 27, 1860, in Barker, N. Y.; came to Oxford in 1829; married June 18, 1829, Eliza HADSELL of New Marlboro, Mass., born May 11, 1810, died October 9, 1886, in Barker, N. Y. Mr. Westover settled on the farm in the west part of the town, known as the BEARDSLEY farm. After a few years he moved to Barker, Broome county.


    POLLY A., married Abel W. BEACH; died April 6, 1885.

    JANE P., married Myron S. ROOT; died August 31, 1887.

    DORUS, married Fannie GAYLORD, and resides in Barker.

    Ranslow Westover, son of Elisha, born April 8, 1809, in Sheffield, Mass.; died December 15, 1858, in Oxford; married December 31, 1835, Clarissa A. TIFT of New Berlin, born April 10, 1816, in New Berlin, N.Y., died April 5, 1888, in Lanesboro, Pa.

    Soon after their marriage Mr. Westover purchased a pair of strong horses and a heavy lumber wagon, upon which he placed a canvas top. In this vehicle he and his bride took their wedding trip, driving to Plainfield, Ill. They carried with them cooking utensils and bedding, and cooked their meals whenever opportunity offered, lodging in their wagon wherever night overtook them. At Plainfield he built the first frame house erected in that town. After remaining there five years, during which time Mr. Westover suffered more or less from fever and ague, they returned to Oxford, coming from Utica on the Chenango canal, in the fall of the year that waterway was opened. He purchased the farm in "Dodge Hollow," now owned by William WELLS, and later came into the village and purchased the BURGHARDT farm, at the lower end of Clinton street, now owned by F. P. NEWKIRK. He built the house now owned by Frederick DIBBLE, then belonging to the farm, and the two large red barns. Here he remained until his death. In 1840 Mr. Westover in partnership with his brother Calvin entered into the oyster trade. They were the first to bring oysters into this section of the State, which were brought to Oxford from Catskill by teamsters, and then distributed throughout the country by their regular routes, north, east, south, and west. Strange as it may seem, Binghamton, Elmira, and Corning were among the places which received their first oysters from the Westovers. Their trade covered a large section and proved very remunerative. Oysters were then put up in pint and quart kegs, later in square tin cans.

    The children of Ranslow were:

    OSMER M., born October 2, 1838, in Plainfield, Ill.; married January 21, 1863, Sarah Eliza CHAPMAN, daughter of William E. Chapman of Oxford, born March 6, 1842, died May 6, 1902. Children: Anna B., married Jay W. HOPKINS; Herbert G., married Alice BENJAMIN; Howard C., and Dr. Robert R.

    SYLVANIA ARLINE, born October 5, 1840, in Oxford; married Thomas E. CHAPMAN; died January 13, 1885, in Marathon, N. Y.

    MARY ANNETTE, born June 14, 1844, in Oxford; married Theodore F. McNEIL. Resides in Binghamton.

    ALICE U., born February 8, 1849, in Oxford; died July 5, 1895, in Elmira; married J. W. HAMILTON of Oxford.

    EARLE H., born February 22, 1853; died April 24, 1858.

    WILLIAM G., born October 5, 1855, in Oxford; married May 20, 1880, Lottie E. WAITE of Muncie, Ind.; resides in Philadelphia.

    RANSLOW, born August 9, 1858; died April 12, 1866.

    Orlin Westover, son of Elisha, born November 27, 1810, in Sheffield, Mass.; died May 27, 1852, in Oxford; married April 30, 1835, Betsey HOWLAND, born July 5, 1812, in New Milford, Conn., died February 11, 1897, in Dryden, N. Y. Mr. Westover came to Oxford about 1834 and bought of Jeremiah YORK the farm now owned and occupied by his son, Miles L. His death occurred from pneumonia after a short illness and while in the full prime of manhood. He possessed those Christian attributes which stamped character on the worth of true citizenship and marked the career of a man passing through life with the full assurance of receiving the reward of "Well done, good and faithful servant." He was a just man, living in peace and with enmity for none.


    ADAH M., died October 2, 1854, aged 18 years.

    MILES R., born in 1839; married Mary P. ROOT of Tioga, Pa. Children: Florence M., died December 6, 1886, in early womanhood, leaving a memory green in the friendship and love of a host of sincere friends. Orlin E., married Nettie M. BURDICK of Norwich; Albert W., married Annie B. COOK of East Norwich; Addie E., married Ira D. McNITT, and resides in Kansas; Minnie B., married Thomas M. DUNNING of Oxford.

    ROXCIE M., died December 31, 1905; married Dr. Robert E. MILLER of Oxford.

    PHILANDER CHASE, died January 7, 1906, in his 62d year, survived by a son.


    Old letters are always interesting. Here are two, the first one written by a student at Oxford Academy the first year of its existence. The writer was a son of Gen. Jacob MORRIS of an old Colonial family that settled at Morris, N. Y. The second letter was written by the founder of the town of Oxford:

Oxford, 14 Sept., 1794.

Dear Pappa:

    I received yours of the 14 this morning. Richard and myself are in good Health at present and will be over on Saturday with Mr. and Mrs. TRACY if we are all well at that time. I got our Clothes and I find a coat of Richard's missing which I am in hopes to get on the road.

    I remain your affectionate son, LEWIS LEE MORRIS.


Oxford, May 28th, 1799.

Dear Sir:

    The Adgt. Gen'l will be at Oxford Academy on Saturday, 8th of June, at which time I hope to be honored with your Company. On Friday morning the Reverend Mr. CAMP will address himself to the Militia, in the afternoon you and the Gen'l can go to the Butternuts, and on Monday morning be at Otego. Pleas (sic) to give Majr Edwards an invitation and be so kind as to inform me by Next Post.

I am with esteem your Humble servt,


If you have resources for Chenango County or would like to volunteer to help with look-ups, please e-mail me at Tim Stowell
There were 7,528 visitors from 30 Sep 2003 - 2 Jun 2016 - thanks for stopping by!
Last updated: 1 Mar 2018

Top of Page
Annals of Oxford
Index to Annals of Oxford
Chenango Co., NY Page